Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

PEM - Orthostatic Intolerance

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by JinZ, Sep 21, 2018.

1. JinZ

JinZ

SoCal
    Is this related to when you can not hold your head up straight? I remember during the beginning of the CFS ME it was very difficult to keep my head up. Like when I'm driving my head is laying next to the window to prop it up. Is this a sign that i'm in PEM?

2. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I think we would need to know more to respond well. Othostatic intolerance is mostly related to your ability to stand and remain standing. Either your blood pressure drops and you go into a faint or pre-faint state, or your heart rate zooms up and stays there (POTS).

3. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    I'd relate my inability to hold my head up at times more to just the ME and ME weakness and not to my severe orthostatic intollerance. OI more so causes things like the need to lay down.

Your post is confusing as its headed "orthostatic intollerance" but I just realized you are though asking about PEM. These are two different things

PEM can make one become weak and make it harder to hold up head.

lafarfelue likes this.
  4. JinZ

JinZ

SoCal
    My apologies, I thought they were related or a sign of PEM occurring.

5. Strawberry

Strawberry Senior Member

Seattle, WA USA
    @JinZ I used to think that my inability to hold my head up was related to PEM, but now I'm thinking it could be cranial instability or cranial settling. Have you seen any of jeff's posts about it? Mine could be caused from my hypermobility, or a neck injury. I haven't had it checked out yet, but what you describe seems so similar to myself.

Here is one thread
    https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...omes-with-dr-kaufman.55707/page-5#post-944164

And another
    https://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/connective-tissue-problems.56788/#post-943591

See more popular forum discussions.