• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pay More Attention to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) in the Media

*GG*

Ryan Prior's short USA Today piece shines some light on the rarely discussed condition.
The history of the illness, which is believed to have begun in North America in 1984 (and in the U.K. as far back as the 1930s), may be short on length, but it is long on pain and tragedy. That tragedy has been measured in millions of lives barely lived, millions in misappropriated funds and, in some cases, horrific and inhumane treatment of patients. Despite widespread cynicism about the progress of CFS research, Obama’s letter was, by most accounts, an unequivocal bright spot. According to Free, that April day was the first time a sitting U.S. president had publicly uttered the words “chronic fatigue syndrome.”
cont'd
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/02/pay-more-attention-to-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.html

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Going off what we see on the news and what I have read about Obama he seems to me to be a good man.

*GG*

Going off what we see on the news and what I have read about Obama he seems to me to be a good man.

Depends upon your news source. I would like to view this with more time in between this history. I think we will learn a lot more about this guy's history in the future, most media protects him, in my opinion, therefore it will take a lot of time to find out what he was truly about. Personas are easy to hold up in the short term.

GG

taniaaust1

Very good for this writer to do an article on CFS, Im grateful for it but maybe someone can point out to the writer of the article that outbreaks had been known in the USA well before that eg 1938 Los Angelas outbreak of it and that atypical poliomyelitis is just one of the MANY names this ilness ME/CFS has been called over time.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_chronic_fatigue_syndrome

There used to be a good list of all the ME/CFS outbreaks which have happened on wiki most before the 1980s.. unfortunately it has been removed with only a few of them nowdays listed.

The term CFS only came to world attention when the CDC were naive and missed diagnosed the Lake Tahoe ME outbreak calling it CFS and confusing everything about ME..

If anyone has some spare cash maybe someone could send this writer Hillary Johnsons book (maybe that would be a good advocacy to give reporters who are taking an interest in ME/CFS the truth about it all. We need the true history of this illness out there more.

SilverbladeTE

I'd say Obama's a very intelligent man unlike the moron he replaced
(wasn't good for anyone to have such a perosn as Bush Jr in charge, really ruined US's atanding.
A "bad", or "wrong" or "unlucky" leader is one thing, but one who's a blithering bloody idiot AND smug at the same time.....is as popular as a pin in a condom factory :p (
Bush Sr on the other hand was sharp, I dislike a lot of what he did, but he was not a fool or a coward

"Good man"...eh...that is rarely known by anyone but close friends/family for anyone.
All politicians alas, become compromised, the party system is a literal chain of coffins dragging down anyone, on any side
So at the end of the day the only really valid question is, for a leader:
did he improve things, and by how much?
Obama's came in at a nadir, the USA, indeed, entire Western world damn near fell into ruin (and those responsible for that GOT AWAY WITH IT, instead of spending rest of their lives in jail, as they should have).
he has achieved far too little, but he is to a fair extent, responsible for stopping the entire damn thing collapsing, whether some folks like that or not.

People always want "strong" leaders and nealry always, they are a damn disaster. They are strong because they don't give a dman about anyone else.
But if you aren't decisive, aren't willing to "go for the other guy's proverbial but not literal throat" when it's absolutely needed, you won't achieve much. Compromise is good, sometimes though, you need to get down and dirty, Obama has done too little of the latter, the other guys have done almost none of the former....not good. this is NOT a freakin' kids game
"WAAAH! WAAAH! My ball not letting the other kid play even though it's his turn!"
jeesh :p

SilverbladeTE - "but he is to a fair extent, responsible for stopping the entire damn thing collapsing, whether some folks like that or not."

the entire damn thing is STILL collapsing - nothing has changed or been fixed - $16trillion and counting - Obama or Romney - it is the same thing - ie, no difference, it is a sideshow and a distraction - vote = consent - play their game by voting means you have no voice - you live in 'their' society and they make sure there is no alternative - there is no such thing as a free country, free expression or any other warm words to describe the chains you wear around your neck - just because the chains are invisible does not mean they are not there.

The 'left/right paradigm is there to deceive - when, in history, has any politician ever done anything other than lie? It is what they do.
Dogs chase cats, horses love to run, money goes to those that have money, I feel crap every day, and politicians lie lie lie lie lie lie lie.

Every election in history is greeted with hope and promises on the one side and an empty 4/5 years in office on the other and every election in history is covered by the very same media as an important event where we the numb public get to select who we want to destroy our lives, and guess what, we fall for it every time. We deserve the scheisters that rule us - we give our consent by voting them in.

USA Today = China Tomorrow - the story is already written - the game has changed.

With regard to the article in USA Today - since when has the media done ANYTHING to benefit us, I challenge anyone to quote a mainstream media piece that does not mention psychiatry, yuppie flu, threats, all in the mind, feeling tired, welfare payments (god forbid we should be able to eat and have shelter) - the front page of any newspaper may as well just have the words "ALL LIES" printed on it - the media (TV/Newspapers) is there for a purpose, it is there for those that dare not question anything other than who will win the next TV talent show ................... or for that matter the next front-man for the totalitarian US. The media are not independent or honest - they are a 'front' for the likes of government.

Now my brain hurts, I hurt, I am sick to death of hurting, I am drained - please someone stop this torment - I want my life back. Yesterday!