• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pavlik et al: Recognizing Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome

mango

Recognizing Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome

Pavlik, Daniel MSPAS, PA-C; Agnew, Donna MSPAS, PA-C, DFAAPA; Stiles, Lauren JD; Ditoro, Rachel MSPAS, PA-C

Abstract
This article describes the pathophysiology, clinical presentation, differential diagnosis, diagnosis, and management of postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), a potentially debilitating autonomic disorder that can have many causes and presentations. POTS can be mistaken for panic disorder, inappropriate sinus tachycardia, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Clinician suspicion for the syndrome is key to prompt patient diagnosis and treatment.

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants:
doi: 10.1097/01.JAA.0000481398.76099.09

http://journals.lww.com/jaapa/Abstr...g_postural_orthostatic_tachycardia.99877.aspx

Last edited:

leela

Does anyone remember the link to the site where you can get full papers? I'd like to read this.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
From the article--some new comorbidities. Be careful not to trip over the recommendation to exercise!:aghhh:
TABLE 1. Comorbidities of POTS
• Amyloidosis
• Anxiety disorder
• Autoimmune autonomic ganglionopathy
• Celiac disease
• Chiari malformation
• Chronic fatigue syndrome
• Diabetes
• Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, type III
• Fibromyalgia
• Lyme disease
• Migraine headache
• Mitochondrial diseases
• Mitral valve prolapse
• Multiple sclerosis
• Neuromyelitis optica
Paraneoplastic syndrome
• Sarcoidosis
• Sjögren syndrome
• Systemic lupus erythematosus

Justin30

Neurologist told me today that POTS is usually caused by SMALL FIBER NEUROPATHY(SFN) and only mentioned that is present in Parkinsons patients :rolleyes:

I think SFN is an area i would love to see more investigation in with regard to ME, POTS and FM.

Groggy Doggy

I cannot get this article to open on my phone when I click the PDF link but maybe it will work on regular computer once I am home. Am very interested in the link between POTS and paraneoplastic syndromes. Thanks for posting it!

Attachments

• Recognizing_postural_orthostatic_tachycardia.99877.pdf
    298.1 KB · Views: 22

Gingergrrl

@Groggy Doggy my phone is telling me I have to install "Google Drive" when I click on your link but then it doesn't let me. I need to update this phone. Am pretty sure I will be able to read the article once I get home tomorrow.

Thank you anyway!!!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
my phone is telling me I have to install "Google Drive" when I click on your link but then it doesn't let me. I need to update this phone. Am pretty sure I will be able to read the article once I get home tomorrow.
I tried this link on my computer and it didn't say anything about Google Drive so it must be something with your phone. I think you will easily download it when you get home. It is just a PDF.

Gingergrrl

@Groggy Doggy I just wanted to let you know that your link worked easily on my home computer and I was able to download the article just now but have not read it yet. Thanks again!

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl Glad to hear you were able to download the file. I hope you are making more progress with your diagnosis and treatment options :hug:

Thanks and I am planning to post an update (not here) but in the other thread on paraneoplastic syndromes b/c that seems like the most fitting place. Will hopefully be able to to do that tomorrow.