• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Patients with medically unexplained physical symptoms experience of receiving treatment in a primary

2014. UK psychologist Oliver James says CBT is "a scam" that has been mis-sold to the Government and policy makers (he wants people with anxiety or depression to have psychodynamic therapy instead).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-term-solution-says-leading-psychologist.html

'CBT is a scam and a waste of money':
Popular talking therapy is not a long-term solution, says leading psychologist

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is the most popular talking therapy

Oliver James argues research shows it does not have a lasting benefit
After 5 to 20 sessions those with anxiety or depression appear to recover

2 years later they are no different to those who had no treatment, he said

Says proponents have mis-sold CBT to the Government and policymakers

He is calling on the Government to fund other types of treatment

Psychodynamic therapy focuses on root cause of problems, he said .......

..... ‘CBT appeals to politicians and NICE because it is quick and cheap'.

‘The therapies proven to work long-term, such as psychodynamic therapy, would not be so cheap because they require more sessions’ he said.
But, he added: ‘Working as a psychotherapist, I rarely encounter patients who haven’t been subjected to CBT, which failed to help them.’

The British Association for Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapies was unavailable for comment.'

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
2014. UK psychologist Oliver James says CBT is "a scam" that has been mis-sold to the Government and policy makers (he wants people with anxiety or depression to have psychodynamic therapy instead).
Isn't that psychoanalysis by another name?

Someone else has an 'insight' into your condition that makes no sense to you but you agree with them anyway to get them to shut up and leave you alone because you have ME, can't think straight and are exhausted by their onslaught.

worldbackwards

Someone else has an 'insight' into your condition that makes no sense to you but you agree with them anyway to get them to shut up and leave you alone because you have ME, can't think straight and are exhausted by their onslaught.
Perhaps Wildcat's point is that behaviourism in general is a bit of a scam, in that it persuades people to pretend that they don't have problems, of whatever origin, rather than get to the bottom of them.

I imagine the day when we see Wildcat recommending psychoanalysis for ME, we'll all be skating on the ice rink in hell.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Perhaps Wildcat's point is that behaviourism in general is a bit of a scam, in that it persuades people to pretend that they don't have problems, of whatever origin, rather than get to the bottom of them.

I imagine the day when we see Wildcat recommending psychoanalysis for ME, we'll all be skating on the ice rink in hell.
:lol::rofl:

Oh, I agree. I was just pointing out that the guy who was talking sense was also talking nonsense.

Scarecrow wrote re psychodynamic therapy: "Isn't that psychoanalysis by another name?"

In a word - yes. And yes - Oliver James is talking sense about CBT - whilst promoting his own favoured therapy.
He's talking sense and nonsense - good point - Ha Ha!.

With government contracts in the offing - its therapy turf wars here in the UK.

http://www.goodtherapy.org/psychodynamic.html
'Psychodynamic therapy
—the psychological interpretation of mental and emotional processes—is rooted in traditional psychoanalysis and draws from object relations, ego psychology, and self psychology. Developed as a simpler, less-lengthy alternative to psychoanalysis, psychodynamic therapy aims to address the foundation and formation of psychological processes in order to alleviate symptoms and improve people’s lives.'

Last edited:

SOC

But to give them their credit where it's due, the authors have been fairly honest in the abstract:
Or am I giving too much credit to these authors?
I think perhaps you are. :) This looks more like spin to me than honesty. Honesty would admit that their therapy was not only a failure, but damaging is some cases. What they've done is try to find a way to spin their results to make it look like their therapy was successful.

This is not research. It is missing critical features of research like a clean patient cohort, a control group, objective evaluation of the results, and so on. This is advertising with all the associated deception and spin. Wolf in sheep's clothing.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
With government contracts in the offing - its therapy turf wars here in the UK.
The only time I'll be doing anything like psychoanalysis ever again is when rituximab or some other treatment restores me to some semblance of normality and I'm ready to exorcise the last 30+ years. I'm guessing that the topic of conversation is not going to be my upbringing (why is it always mothers that get the blame?) but

(1) the GP that convinced me about psychosomatic symptoms
(2) the other GP that wrote about my 'early signs of psychosis' (my father had bipolar disorder) and referred me to the psych, and
(3) the psych that broke me down. He, quite sensibly, wasn't at all interested in the GP's bipolar theory but went gunning for my mother instead.

Then again, why give them the business?

Sorry to vent but after 25 years, now's as good a time as any.

Well, that was therapeutic. Thanks for listening, folks.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Have your symptoms disappeared yet?
Well, given that my main symptom was anger, I found that while I was venting, visualising wringing their scrawny necks like chickens did dissipate it somewhat.

Too early to tell for sure. Same time next week?

SOC

why is it always mothers that get the blame?
Because Freud hated his mother? Or did he have an unhealthy sexual attraction to his mother which he is translating into hatred and projecting onto others?

Oh wait, that kind of distorted thinking only happens to us plebeians, not to superior psychiatrists and psychologists. They're perfect and mentally healthy, everyone else is the sick one. :rolleyes:

A.B.

Because Freud hated his mother? Or did he have an unhealthy sexual attraction to his mother which he is translating into hatred and projecting onto others?

Oh wait, that kind of distorted thinking only happens to us plebeians, not to superior psychiatrists and psychologists.

I think it had more to do with cocaine. Long term cocaine abuse supposedly leads to a state that is difficult to distinguish from psychosis. Short term effects are feeling confident, powerful, even invincible. That would explain a lot. Freud started consuming cocaine shortly before announcing to have made great discoveries (short term effects), and he believed that patients were subconsciously sending messages in the form of physical symptoms (long term psychosis?).

Last edited:

Large Donner

Thanks for doing the hard work, @Dolphin

Also they didn't have a no-treatment control group. But more people reporting worsening than improving does suggest they need a different approach. So presumably they'll rip it up and start again?

Na, they will just take the usual approach, "This big bunch of bullshit doesn't work for this patient group we just need to find a patient group this big bunch of bullshit does work on, we have been trying for 200 years, they must be out there somewhere."