August 8th, 2018: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe ME
Have you heard of our Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance? Please join Jody Smith in observing this day and honoring the 25% of those with ME/CFS who are most severely ill.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Patient Experience: "What Bronllys taught me about pacing."

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

@~Tatty~ - The quote you have in your profile is a perfect indication of where you're going wrong. The vast majority of the active members on this forum would disagree with that statement, even though it was published in article on this website (as a single person's personal opinion), and at least a dozen people did disagree with it publicly here. The whole thing is a load of psychobabble which research studies have repeatedly been proven to be ineffective.

Symptoms and current physical status must be taken into account when planning activities every day. Pretending we aren't sick and pushing through symptoms just makes us worse.

2. ~Tatty~

~Tatty~

UK
    Sorry, foggy brain. What do you mean? Could you rephrase it please

3. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

The article you are latching onto for guidance is completely wrong. It is inappropriate advice for ME patients.

4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Even if the stuff about boom and bust in unfounded, and the quote does really over-regulate people's activity levels, it does also sound like it could be helpful for Tatty to move away from thinking that they should always be trying to do what they can on a good day.

Equally though @~Tatty~ I don't think that you should really feel like you need to do less than you are comfortable with just because that's what someone else tells you. It does seem that a lot of patients do have naturally varying health, and that this is not a result of dysfunctional boom and bust behaviour. Being too strict is likely to mean that you miss out on stuff for no good reason. Good luck finding what's best for you.

dancer likes this.
  5. ~Tatty~

~Tatty~

UK
    Oh, okay.
    Why is it still on the forum for people to read then?

6. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Because people can express their views, and we can disagree with them when they're wrong :D

SOC likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.