• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PARKINSON'S DRUG SHOWN TO HELP BRAIN INJURED--US TOO?

Enid

Neuroscience and no psychiatrists - great news and let us hope - go, go, go. (Much hope it aids Parkinson suffers and understanding for ME).

PNR2008

Unless this is a different form of amantadine, Drs in Cleveland tried it 24 yrs ago and most people felt nothing or worse and it wasn't heard from again. This was with the kutapression and B12 and folic acid shots as remedies. I thought they used this drug firstly for AIDS patients but it didn't help.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Are our brains injured? I, who have no medical background, would say more dysfunctional - lack of energy, lack/imbalance of neurotransmitter, lack of B12, and so forth. It is certainly great new for those with brain injuries. I am just not sure that is us.

Sing

Well, Little Bluestem, people with ME/CFS are on a spectrum and there are probably subgroups. Also it depends how long you've had it, in combination with its severity. But there is evidence through brain scans that our brains show changes. I personally consider it damage, but can also go with a more neutral idea of dysfunction or changes. Anyway, I've long thought that there must be a problem in the area of the dopamine-producing area in the back of the brain, the reticular activating system. Dopamine is the neurotransmitter which enables brain speed. I know my brain slowed down once I got ME/CFS, that it is like someone's who is half asleep all the time or clonked with the flu. It is constantly "dropping the ball".

So I tend to think medications or supplements which might help with dopamine production and functioning would be helpful. People with Post Polio Syndrome have damage in the part of the brain as do people with Parkinson's, though the damage with Parkinson's focusses more narrowly on the ability to move. I don't know about amantadine varieties, history or anything, PNR2008, but what I read in this article. I would really like more medical research and treatment aimed at the slow forgetful brain.