Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Paper on OI and POTS in adolescents

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by JaimeS, Jul 19, 2016.

1. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Silicon Valley, CA
    Valentijn, Hutan and ScottTriGuy like this.
  2. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    What utter dribble.

I'm embarrassed for them.

Valentijn, JaimeS and Hutan like this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Closet psychoanalysts. Too embarassed to admit it.

Valentijn, OhShoot and JaimeS like this.
  4. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    So if you take away the perjorative language, which I have to say, pisses me off SO much, their hypothesis is that parents worry more and are more protective when their children are more sick.....
    Seriously, what is wrong with these people that they are so removed from reality as to think its ok to write this drivel?

5. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    Well at least it's "parent overprotective behavior and catastraphizing" is the only piece being called out (as bad as that is)... at least they aren't indicating that it's Munchausen by Proxy... another bogus thing, but something that I as a pwME and parent of a child with chronic health issues - am very, very scared can get thrown at me.

JaimeS likes this.
  6. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Silicon Valley, CA
    And as as we all know, post-hoc ergo propter hoc. Or, er, propter hoc, ergo post-hoc? What do you call it when someone thinks the cause is actually the effect and the effect is actually the cause?

-J

7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

A psychosomatic explanation? :D

Reversing cause and effect?

8. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Silicon Valley, CA
    And here I set you up to say, "...we call it 'stupid'." ;)

eastcoast12 likes this.
  9. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Silicon Valley, CA
    From a philosophical POV, I really DO have to wonder, in a 100% serious manner. Here is my serious face: o_O

Can they seriously be unaware that it makes far more sense the other way around from the manner in which they've presented the information? I don't like to think that you can really be this blinkered and still earn a PhD.

The other option is that they're trying to sell something. Are they trying to sell something?

Only other paper by the lead author is http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3656423/ which looks like a totally normal study at first glance, looking at RBC rigidity (which has also been implicated in ME in Australian studies) and its effect on oxygen uptake in aging populations.

Valentijn, Hutan and PennyIA like this.
  10. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    I think they've just found it's easy to publish a paper blaming parents of children and since it's POPULAR to blame parents, then hey... .almost instance acceptance. And, look at that... resume and/or performance review time, they've got yet another paper published to help them get that new/better position and/or raise.

11. GreyOwl

GreyOwl Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant

Yes, my daughter's sudden increase in vasovagal episodes coinciding with a flare of other symptoms was caused by the fact she went to the doctor 7 months later.

Hutan likes this.
  12. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    Ah well @GreyOwl, you see if her vasovagal episodes weren't
    A. caused by your over-protectiveness and over-medicalising of every day symptoms,
    then it was
    B. because you were ignoring her and she wanted more attention from you, a cry for help.
    Or
    C. Both A and B.

Either way, you (and I) are the problem, not the medical profession's lack of knowledge.

Valentijn, Solstice and GreyOwl like this.

See more popular forum discussions.