• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Paper: Electrical (and wireless?) devices activate EB virus

Countrygirl

This is an old paper (1997) but in view of the fact that a number of people find they are adversely affected by electrical devices, it is of interest. Has there been further supporting evidence since this paper was published?

I discovered when laid up with hypertensive encephalopathy ( a late addition to ME with very similar neurological symptoms) that electrical wireless devices exacerbated the encephalopathy significantly in seconds and I had to keep them out of my room. I know that is not relevant to the reactivation of viruses, but it is further proof to me at least that electrical devices are best avoided whenever possible.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9276003

J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol. 1997;16(2-3):205-7.
Exposure to a 50 Hz electromagnetic field induces activation of the Epstein-Barr virus genome in latently infected human lymphoid cells.
Grimaldi S1, Pasquali E, Barbatano L, Lisi A, Santoro N, Serafino A, Pozzi D.
Author information
  • 1Institute of Experimental Medicine C.N.R., Rome, Italy.
Abstract
The EBV genome in latently infected lymphoid cells offers an opportunity to follow effects on the transcriptional and translational product clearly distinguishable from those of the host cell genome. Exposure of Akata cells, a human lymphoid cell line latently infected by the EBV genome, to a 50 Hz EMF resulted in an increased number of cells expressing the virus early antigens. This finding provides additional evidence that DNA can be modulated by a magnetic field.

PMID:

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]