• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Paper by Nigel Speight: 'ME/CFS: Review of history, clinical features and controversies'

alex3619

Yes Sasha, an interesting paper. He also has the same opinion as me as to the primary turning point in ME medicine and politics: McEvedy and Beard's 1970 paper. This was happening at a time when the biopsychosocial movement was about to take off, and about the time that there were big changes in global politics and economics. Once many in medicine, and particularly psychosomatic medicine, become fixated on ME as mass hysteria, the issues began. On the one hand we have biomedical evidence, repeated cluster outbreaks, and sound reasoning from the experts (for the most part). On the other we have unsubstantiated claims, reams of rhetoric, and political promotion of the biopsychosocial view. These are two different paradigms. One is based on reason. The other uses reason, politics and public relations methods to manipulate the public discourse.