• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pain: Seek freedom first

roller

wiggle jiggle
i think pain sensation is linked to anxiety in ppl.

both may be high or both may be not high.

brenda

Mind you, I do have general anxiety due to aspergers. I dont worry about pain though as I can use google and natural remedies for most things. I think that ones attitude counts a lot

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
What we have here is a bag of tricks for coping with pain, which are certainly worth dipping into, to see what works and helps. But in the end, there may be no one "right" way to manage pain, its likely to be a very personal thing. I'm pretty sure that's what you're saying too, just wanted to make the point out loud.

Yes, I agree with you. Meditation, herbs, yoga, and pharmaceuticals all have their place in pain management. We just need to find what works for us as individuals in the current moment. What works for one type of pain may not work for another. What worked last year may not work this year since our bodies and minds are constantly changing.

I once had a kidney stone while dehydrated. This is known to be some of the most intense physical pain a human can feel. I was able to maintain a clear mind and even watch what my body and mind were doing in response to the pain, but I was happy when I was given Demerol in the ER and the pain quickly faded. Demerol is like magic. At that time it was the right tool for the job and I was grateful for it.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
And I think that's bullshit. I have no anxiety, even when I have plenty of pain.

I think roller may have meant that anxiety can increase the perceived intensity of pain. In the way that someone who is anxious or fearful at the dentist will perceive pain as being worse because they expect intense pain. Someone who remains calm will feel pain but it won't be amplified by anxiety and expectation.

roller

wiggle jiggle
yes. and in addition, pain and possibly all diseases are perceived differently depending on when they started.

when you have led a normal life and you fall sick to fatigue, it will impact you in an unbearable way. restrict you.
you just want to be back where you come from.

when you have grown up with it, you will embrace every tiny little improvement.
back? where is that?

roller

wiggle jiggle
i know two girls, which dont really know each other.
they are 10 years apart, very different, but somehow they had the same trait:

everything what would just look like some illness, disease, pain would totally upset them. like panic. but only, when it affected them. they were considered "hypoconders"... "hysterical".

when we were looking to start our working lifes, everybody would say "yeah, i will apply at the banks"... "i will try to find something in retail" ... "want an office job"... when thinking back, those two didnt.

woosh... out of the blue they announced "i applied at the hospital".
before anyone got back their breath about that...
woosh... they had the job.

interestingly, they both are still nurses.
one in the emergency room, the other in intensive care.
both were placed there immediately after their trainings.

Woolie

@roller, I don't know what you're saying here because its so confused. It would help a lot to readers here if you could use regular sentences (I suspect English might not be your first language).

But I hope you're not saying what I think you're saying: that these two young women were simply hypochondriacs and that's what attracted them to nursing. That would be very disrespectful to write off their pain and illness as hypochondria, especially if you don't know their medical details.

All of us here have faced similar prejudices, and we don't want to come to PR to hear more of them.

woosh... out of the blue they announced "i applied at the hospital".
before anyone got back their breath about that...
Also looks like you have no respect for these women's career decisions: "whoosh, out of the blue" like they were made on a whim.

Last edited:

roller

wiggle jiggle
apologies, i surely dont want to ridcule illness or pain.
they were not ill. they didnt have pain. nobody in their family had.
i think its clear, that i am impressed by their decision. that was a solid one.