• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pacing with hr monitor and OI

soti

I've been pacing with a hr monitor (Fitbit HR Charge) for a month and change, and my resting hr has been going down. Which is good and I feel more rested but the lower it is, the more I feel woozy and headachy and orthostatically intolerant. I do normally but this is unusual. Anyone experienced this?

I wish there were a resting heart rate that was goldilocks-right in between but I seem to go from digging myself a hole (higher hr) straight to woozy mc wooz face (lower hr)

soti

"low" in this context is around 73 bpm (this is fitbit's proprietary calculation of resting hr, something like a daily average over times they deem you to be resting)

soti

Yeah, that's the thing. hr pretty normal (did fail a poor man's tilt table test, i.e. +40bpm between lying and 10 mins standing). bp pretty normal. blood volume? but why only when hr has come down? could a higher hr mask a blood volume problem?

I don't expect there's anything to do about it other than the usual OI stuff but curious if anyone else gets this and how they deal with it if so.

arewenearlythereyet

My resting heart rate fluctuates between 55 and 64 (I have a Fitbit blaze) There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to why it's lower some days than other days. I don't get any symptoms like you describe when it's on the low side. It seems to be lower when I've been more active but can change from day to day. I just ignore it as probably being a factor of how Fitbit average things.