• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PACE trial commentaries in the Journal of Health Psychology to be made open access

Barry53

PACE on its own might not be one of the biggest medical scandals - if it had been quickly realised to be methodologically flawed and a null trial and sunk into rapid obscurity it would simply have been a huge waste of money.

It is the repercussions of PACE - the way it holds sway over the NHS, Cochrane, NICE etc that make what might have been a badly executed worthless waste of money into a massive scandal ruining hundreds of thousands of lives all over the world.

And the scandal shows no signs of abating. Look at the fiasco of the latest NICE review process, shrouded in secrecy and holding GETSET up as the next big thing to take into account - showing they have learned nothing.

It is all so dangerous and unethical it beggars belief.
Yep! PACE is just part of the scandal. The other (and perhaps worst) part is how much of the establishment (medical professionals, politicians, NICE, DWP, etc) have knowingly (I cannot believe they have not known for a long time) encouraged and fostered the untruths that PACE and its motley crew have promulgated. So many people have been telling them for so long, and have been willfully ignored.

Barry53

I still want to buy one for the coffee table. And maybe another one to roll up and smack ME-denialist doctors on the nose with :wide-eyed:
In my forces days there was a rather "basic" form of entertainment when the drinks were flowing known as "Zulu warrior", where an enterprising individual (not me!) would do a strip tease (please, stay with me here!), and when completely in the altogether a newspaper would be placed so he could grip it firmly "between the cheeks" ... and it would then be set fire to. His mates would then demonstrate their comradery and approval of his performance by throwing their beers over it to extinguish the flames before any significant damage was done.

If the magazine were used in the same context here ... I think I'd just carry on and enjoy my beer.

Edit: Just to be clear (I'd hate to be misunderstood here). The above comment is about how I hope some PACE behinds will metaphorically speaking be singed by the JHP article, and is most certainly not disparaging the JHP, which I have ever-increasing respect for.

Last edited:

Dolphin

The Journal of Health Psychology,
Volume 22 Number 9 August 2017
Special Issue
The PACE trial.

Fwiw these are the details for ordering the paper copy from Sage Publications:

"The price for single print issue for Journal of Health Psychology is £6.00GBP.

You can purchase the issue by replying to this email with your payment information, we require the long card number, the card type and the expiry date.

You can also phone or fax this information to the numbers below my signature.

Finally, you can pay with a cheque, made payable to SAGE Publications and posted to the below address in Peterborough, which may talke longer in processing your order request.

Sage Publications Ltd
18 Titan Drive
PETERBOROUGH
PE1 5XN
United Kingdom

Please also provide us with an address for delivery.

Kindly contact us for any further assistance.

Thanks & Regards

Customer Services Department
SAGE
Tel: +44 (0)20 7324 8701
Fax: +44 (0)20 7324 8733
http://www.uk.sagepub.com"
Thanks. I imagine it would be extra for postage/shipping for outside the UK so if anyone gets done information please post it.
Turns out it is the same price

Last edited:

Countrygirl

This is not a safe thing to do with your credit card number. Your number will be flying around the world unencrypted!

Be careful! When I used a credit card for a purchase in an identical situation with a well-respected company, an employee used my details to not only empty my account but left me with thousands of pounds owing to the bank. (Amazingly, my bank moved many, many thousands, which I didn't have, taking me up to my credit level, plus savings, to the Seychelles...........astonishing as I never leave my home and the bank had previously stopped a £20 pound payment for anti-virus software as the company was trading from Spain). Mercifully, it was decided after a nail-biting investigation that I was not in error and that an employee had taken advantage of their situation and my money was returned and the debt cancelled, leaving the bank puzzled how they made such an error. It isn't worth the risk.

lilpink

Just to be pedantic: I think @lilpink meant it slightly differently, and was (I think) was suggesting that David Marks "Go get 'em", whereas you were suggesting to MEGA "get thee hence and ...". Not sure if that counts as plagiarism or not :p:). Just thought I'd be awkward!

Yes that was my gist... but I was totally utterly unaware of its prior use..I never nick other people's punchlines so this was an independent thought albeit clearly not that original ;) :sleep::thumbdown:

alex3619

PACE on its own might not be one of the biggest medical scandals
As you point out, its the whole conglomerate of things with PACE as the nadir. Its failure all around. It may also be bigger than ME or CFS, as the BPS ideology might well have made similar systematic blunders for other problems. The whole MUPS debacle comes to mind.