• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oxygen treatment

Allyson

My O2 levels are 92%. One of my doctors doesn't think I would benefit from a trial of O2 therapy, but my ENT does. I'd like to try it, but 92% is way too high for my insurance to help out.

I have looked at the oxygen bars on Amazon, but reviews are very mixed.

And yet 92 per cent is quite low for your O2 sats to sit at - in a hospital they would give O2 to someone if their sat s dropped to that low - even at about 94 per cent.

Ally

Allyson

I have started a buteyko thread. I think thats correct thread etiquette ? but i am very keen on trying buteyko . my control pause was bewteen 10 and 15. the few times i tried it. I am very happy to be above 10! :)

GOo idea - I have never looked into buteyko but I did a LOT of yoga Pranayama ( breathing yoga) in my 20 s as I ws wantig to be a singer and was tole my breathing was shallow....so I learnt some great breathing techniques that way too.

Some stand outs were Tibetan breathing, alternate nostril breathing and Bundas - als good for gastorparesis and constipation btw.
Some can be done lying down which is what I advise if you have POTS /OI - or the effort of sitting up or standing upright counteracts the benefits of the exercise.

Still interested to look in to Buteyko.

Ally

Allyson

Thank you so much for your replies everyone, much appreciated.
I saw this new Dr tonight and he is running some bloods tests to see if im suitable for Intravenuous Oxygen Therapy. they basically withdraw a small bag of your blood, oxidize that blood and pump it back into you. The Dr said you normally feel its effects before the drip is even finished. I have to have it twice a week for 3 weeks and then just a top when I need it. Its $140 a drip.
He said lots of his CFS patients have wonderful effects from this so im eager to see if it works for me. I will report back if anyone is interested to know what happens?

He also said the oxygen was wonderful for killing off bad things in the body, including parasties which I found very interesting.

HI Tembo I am in Aus too
I havenever heard of that -O 2 into the blood
COuld you Pm me the docs details please? Or post them here if you are happy to .

Personally I would hesitate though
Have you treied just a normal saline infusion?
that helps many with POTS - and how do you know if it is just the extra fluid making you feel better or the "oxygenated " blood;

If you get a sats monitor at home you can see your own O2 sats and increase them to 100 percent ( ie the maximum possible )with slow deep breathing in a very short time ( 1-2 minutes) so I find it hard to believe that having oxygenated blood pumped in will have much effect - open to hear more about it though.....and let us know how you go please if you do.

But some people do not find the saline injections helpful either...maybe it depends on if you have POTS/OI or not -have you been tested for that?

Cheers

Ally

Allyson

My oxygen levels are fine at night but drop regularly during the day but only for about a minute. Then my heart rate goes up to compensate and oxygen rises again. Overall my statistics are 30% of the time below 95%, 3% of the time below 90%

yes that is a good thought @sick of sickness - so amy be better to investi n a sats monitor before committing to oxygen thereapy - they are uite cheap now online

Also it may depend on if you are POTsy or not - or if you do not have enough blood - a low blood volume such as I have - is maybe going to respond more to any little thing you put in to help it along....

So maybe get your blood volume tested and be assessed for POTs before the O2 so you know your prior status.

ALly

Tembo

Australia
Hi Ally, Im sorry I cant work out how to do a "reply quote' to what you said. Brain fatigue today!

I totally understand your concerns about whether or not you would be benefiting from the fluid or the actual oxygen as I understand fluid makes you feel better too, however two things, one I don't think there is any additional fluid in this intravenous drip, they take your own blood and just oxidize it until it bubbles and then put it back in you. Secondly, Ive already shown such POSITIVE reactions to the oxygen in the hospital so I can be pretty sure that's what makes me better ( if the IV works for me of course).

The Doc did offer to put a bag of Vit C and also Glutathione in my blood but the cost was too great at the moment, also I want to see if the oxygen works without being confused as to whats making me feel better. I too would wonder if it was the Vit C making me well or if was extra fluid, but in saying that the effects of a drip only last me a few days whereas VitC are long lasting.

This intravenous method of oxidizing blood is not new by any means( although it is to me and im kind of furious I wasn't offered it before??) its more commonly known as " blood doping" and its what got Lance Armstrong in a world of trouble ( and also the Essendon footy club this week I hear?) Its illegal for them but wonderful for us. Apparently anyways.

There are 3 Drs at this surgery in Perth who do it.
Dr Craig Turner and Dr Clive Health
Churchhill Medical Centre
Shenton Park

08 9381 3691.

Initial consult ( no referral and no wait times either, I got in the day after I called) $180 medicare rebatable
Intravenous Oxided blood is $140 no medicare
Vit C $165
Glutathione $40

Tembo

Australia
I am very interested , thanks! Good luck.

my g.p.(NHS !) says nothing harmful can live in a n oxygen rich environment. its what all the yoga and yogi students practice to stay well too. my g.p. is a trainee yogi

yay I worked out the quote. just need coffee.
wow golden I didn't know that about harmful things not being able to live in an oxygen rich environment. im quite excited to have this treatment now. I have some nasty parasites, doc tried to kill them off using a herbal concoction which quite nearly killed me and then we tried the antibiotic route and that worked wonderfully after initial HORRID die off symtoms, but the results only lasted me three days and I was back to sick again. just crazy.

Allyson

Hi Ally, Im sorry I cant work out how to do a "reply quote' to what you said. Brain fatigue today!

I totally understand your concerns about whether or not you would be benefiting from the fluid or the actual oxygen as I understand fluid makes you feel better too, however two things, one I don't think there is any additional fluid in this intravenous drip, they take your own blood and just oxidize it until it bubbles and then put it back in you. Secondly, Ive already shown such POSITIVE reactions to the oxygen in the hospital so I can be pretty sure that's what makes me better ( if the IV works for me of course).

The Doc did offer to put a bag of Vit C and also Glutathione in my blood but the cost was too great at the moment, also I want to see if the oxygen works without being confused as to whats making me feel better. I too would wonder if it was the Vit C making me well or if was extra fluid, but in saying that the effects of a drip only last me a few days whereas VitC are long lasting.

This intravenous method of oxidizing blood is not new by any means( although it is to me and im kind of furious I wasn't offered it before??) its more commonly known as " blood doping" and its what got Lance Armstrong in a world of trouble ( and also the Essendon footy club this week I hear?) Its illegal for them but wonderful for us. Apparently anyways.

There are 3 Drs at this surgery in Perth who do it.
Dr Craig Turner and Dr Clive Health
Churchhill Medical Centre
Shenton Park

08 9381 3691.

Initial consult ( no referral and no wait times either, I got in the day after I called) $180 medicare rebatable
Intravenous Oxided blood is $140 no medicare
Vit C $165
Glutathione $40

Thanks for that Tembo - haveyou had your blood volume measured ? that is a free test under medicare in Aus and a good one to start with - as well as getting tested for POTS/OI and rule out EDS.

The thing about the O2 rich environment is that you can easily increase your blood 02 to 100 percent just by breathing deeply. I am keen to look at anything but the seeing people waste money on experimental things that may have only short term benefit.. I hear the Essendon results were not all good ac to my doc but not sure of details. You can also have indeed, too much oxygen in some medical conditions )2 can be harmful.

I have met people with POTs who find the IV vitamin infusions weekly and I am keen to try IV saline at least but I DO have low blood volume.
But I have also heard from many with ME/cfs who find th IVfluids no use at all....

cheers

Ally

Allyson

A further thing- you say you showed a positive result to oxygen in the hospital - but were that is not always proof - it could be placebo effect, it could be form all the rest in the hospital or the lying down or it could be from the airconditioning there l these would have a positive effect on POTs for example...

not to dampen enthusiasm I do hope it works for you but that effect is always s only going to be short term.....

Let us know how you go though...strange that I have not heard of anyone doing it for ME yet

One other thing - giving blood makes me very ill - maybe due to my low blood volume so I wonder how much of your blood they remove?

good luck

Ally

suzanne

Hi all,

I just chanced on your threads about oxygen, as I have also had some experiences that are related to this topic.

I live in Perth, W.Aus. and many years ago was treated by the Churchil Drs- and had the oxone that you describe. It made me very unwell and I eventually stopped it.

It is now many years down the track and although I have a dx of ME, I have now been diagnosed with Lyme disease!

That probably explains why the ozone would have made me so sick- even when they lowere the dosing of the ozone- I just could not tolerate it.

now I am looking at what treatments I might use to get better. I too do well on abx but the effects never lasted (now I know I have Lyme this makes more sense).

In the last few days I have read about how many people do well with oxygen therapies who have Lyme, so I have trialled a few drops of stabilised oxygen drops ( hydrogen peroxide with a particular nano treatment?). I have felt the best that I have been in years. The dose is meant to be 40-80 drops a day, but I did 5 the first day and suffered some die off. I waited 36 hours and today did a half a drop- I instantly felt a bit woozy in the head, but better at the same time. I plan to stay on the 1/2 drop per day for the next while and see if I can titrate as my body allows.

I have also ordered an oxygen concentrator from the US_ cost me $800 and I ma not sure if I could have perhaps bought one from Aus a bit cheaper if I had done more research. I hope the investment pays off_ I am desperate to trya nd lower the pathogen load by this means- I have tried almost everything else for Lyme, including the homeopathics, rife and zapper, but just get too sick to handle it, at least at this point.

I wish I had know about the oxygen pathway a few years ago as it may have stopped the slippery slide I have been on in the last 5 years. BTW, I did abx for 19 months ( marchall protocol ) and was really well. I then got sick on the abx and no one could explain why. I think the Lyme diagnosis is the explanation- and just doing a killing regime is not likely to get me well, without changing my whole body terrain. This is my challenge.

get eh pathogen load down and then start to build the gut and liver function- and probably even the methylation cycle. All of which I have tried but without success- but probably in the wrong order!

I hope this is helpful- I have invested about $100,000 on expensive treatments over time, and much of it caused me pain and distress and no significant benefits.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
suzanne

can you tell me which hydrogen peroxide supp you are using - I have a friend with stage 4 cancer she is very resistant to using anything other than chemo at present but this may help when she has finished. I am going to look into it myself as well. One thing has always stuck in my mind - a long long time ago I read a report about the russians using oxygen therapy to cure cancer - no-one in the west was interested (by that mean the drug companies) too cheap a therapy, but the bottom line is cancer cells can't live in an oxygen environment.

suzanne

Hi maryb
I am taking Healthforce oxygen supreme II. Got it from iherb.

I am having a bad day today- BAD migraine- followed by another BAD migraine.

This oxygen stuff is all still experimental for me. I started on 5 drops and had a great day and then after about 12 hours noticed detox symptoms. 36 hours later I took 1/2 drop and had some die off symptoms for a day. Today I took none and have had rolling migraine and constipation symptooms. Perhaps my body is in detox mode- just not sure.

There have been enough glimpses of improvement that I am going to keep experimenting for a while.

I would love to hear of any others that have done some of this sort of treatment. I have also ordered the oxygen machine from US and will let you know how I go. It will take a few weeks to get to Aus.

S

bertiedog

I thought it might be helpful for me to post my first impressions after using my oxygen concentrator some 14 months ago. The benefits have continued and I couldn't believe how bad I felt when my concentrator had to go back for 3 days to rectify a problem with the flow meter -

Something amazing and completely unexpected happened today after I had used the oxygen concentrator for about 1 hour in the late morning and 1 hour in the early afternoon. This was the first time I used it a 4 on the flow dial. I took my dog out, first time since Friday because I have had a severe throat infection. The first thing I noticed was that my legs were so light, about half the weight or less of what they usually feel like. (I used to describe it as a leaden feeling). It made me think to myself, if everybody is like this then why are people so lazy its so easy to walk! I still ran out of good energy after 20 minutes but my legs still weren't heavy.

The second and most unexpected thing that happened was that very quickly looking around the park it was like I had technicolour eyes. Everything was so sharp and so well defined, it was like I had put on the best glasses in the world. I couldn't believe it, it was like looking at the world in a new way. I knew my eyesight was bad and I have to wear glasses but it just felt likke I had these new brilliant glasses.

At the end of my walk I usually sit down and read a bit whilst my dog wanders around but when I got my book out and looked at the pages everything was so easy to read, the complete opposite of what it usually feels like!

So you can imagine my delight at what has happened after just 2 hours of using the oxygen concentrator but I do remember Dr Munro saying I would quickly notice a big difference and how right she was. I am so grateful to Dr Munro and the Breakspear if it wasn't for them I wouldn't have known I had such a problem.

I have also started the supplements for vascular support and will give myself the first B12 injection tomorrow which should also help. You can all imagine how optimistic I am that I can feel better, but I still don't fully understand what is actually CAUSING this huge problem.
Pam

Tembo

Australia
Hi everyone just coming back to post my experience so far with my IV Ozone Therapy.

I went in for my first IV 3 weeks ago today.

They withdrew 200ml of my blood, put it in a special machine to fill it full of oxygen and pumped it back into me. The first IV has the lowest oxygen content at .8. Whole process took about 15mins and I was out of there. I felt nothing initially but within about 2 hours I came quite alive. I was bright alert and chatty! I felt great, I felt great all night and the next morning I woke up bright as a button at 5.30am! Was a really great day with a minor crash in the middle. The rush petered out over the next week but there was much improvement in certain parts and I had a really great week.

Then I had the second IV, this was at the second highest strength of .6 I started to feel good within a couple of hours but it didn't last and I felt nothing exciting the next day.

Then I had the 3rd IV at the max strength of .4 The Dr said they would leave me on this strength now as all CFS patients respond the best to this. However within hours I went downhill bad. It made me sick and I dragged myself around for 2 days like a zombie. 2 days later I had to go back for my 4th IV. Once again, I got sicker, it wiped me out for 4 days. I went from bed to couch, then I called the doc and had a phone consult with him.

He listened very carefully and he was certainly surprised at my reaction, he said that the oxygen was obviously too strong for me and had overloaded my anti-oxidant pathways. He is making me wait about 11days til I return to "normal" and then wants me to have another IV but at the lowest dose possible. Im rather dubious I must say.

I spoke to him about how wonderful I felt on the regular oxygen I got just from the mask and bottle when my husband was in hospital. I said it is possible that all I need is a tiny tiny dose? perhaps the mask is all my body can cope with? and he totally agreed with me and said that if the IV doesn't work he is more than happy to let me have a go at just the regular oxygen mask. He asked me to have another 4 IVs first though at the low dose.

I cant say im too keen on this, if the low dose IV works this Friday for more than 24hrs then I may be willing, but at $140 per infusion I don't want to pay for something that is making me sick.

Anyhoo, just wanted to update those of you that are interested. All I can think of is what a lift the regular oxygen gave me, and how sick I feel now and boy do I wish I could get my hands on some!

Sinclair

Hello Tembo,
Interesting thread!
I just was curious about your further experiences with oxygen therapies.

Tembo

Australia
Hi Sinclair :)
After using the IV form of ozone I went over to the regular tank oxygen with a face mask. I once again got great results. So much so I begged to have a tank at home. The doc looked into it and said it wasn't possible. I nearly cried. Then I read on a forum somewhere that if you have a referral from your GP that BOC Australia would deliver a tank to your door. I went back to my original cfs doc and she wrote me a referral and I had a tank within 3 days.

All this time later I still have it. I don't bounce off the walls with it but it DEF def helps me and I won't be giving it up anytime soon. I do 20mins at least 3 times per week. 3 other family members with cfs also got tanks after this and all responded. Other family members didn't respond ( yes there are 8 of us sick in total)

On a side note my CFS doctor started me on Dr Wilsons Adrenal tablets and I have to say in the past 7months my life has nothing short of changed. I'm 38, been chronically I'll since I was 18 and for the first time in my life I can exercise, I can even do a little jogging. Last year I would have spent a week in bed after this, now - nothing. No crash, no after effect nothing. My husband doesn't know who I am anymore! I have two other family members that also suffer cfs/fibro and they are showing results after just a month on these tablets. My cortisol levels were tested in a saliva test last year and they could just barely get a ready my adrenals were functioning so so poorly.

I take 5 Adrenal Tablets and 5 Super Adrenals over the course of the day. Incredible. Life changing. I'm not 100% by any means but from a woman who was bed and couch ridden daily these have truly changed my life. I'm so excited with this progress!

Sinclair

This is really amazing! Congrats! And many thanks for your prompt and kind reply :)
I wishing you getting closer to the 100% pretty soon.;) I want to try both right now: the tank and the Adrenal support.