• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oxygen in CFS

SmokinJoeFraz93

My main symptoms are 'mitochondria dysfunction', so all my muscles are filled with lactic acid.

I've become intolerant to heat and I always got to have the window open because I can't breathe properly. My breathing patterns are not normal anymore.

I'm just wondering if it's anything to do with oxygen supply somewhere in my body? And what tests would my GP send me for?

Valentijn

@SmokinJoeFraz93 - Your doctor could test your blood lactate levels, though you can also do that at home with a tester. Strips are expensive though, generally around 2 euros each. I don't have elevated levels on a regular basis, but sporadically at night it will be high, even though I'm well-rested.

Venous blood gases are also pretty easy to test for. My blood oxygen saturation was 24% and 54% before and after exercise (normal range 70-75%). My other blood gas analysis results and ranges are at http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-like-episodes-melas.48943/page-6#post-853983

My pulse oximeter showed normal oxygen saturation during the same appointment where the blood was collected that showed very abnormal levels. So a finger pulse oximeter might miss some problems, though it will also pick up other problems with oxygen.

SmokinJoeFraz93

Thanks for the reply. A finger pulse oximeter considered me normal also. I haven't had blood lactate levels tested though.

What can treat abnormal blood lactate levels?

Valentijn

What can treat abnormal blood lactate levels?
Addressing the underlying cause, if one can be found. Avoiding things which might raise lactate levels.

Hypoxia can be a cause of elevated lactate, since we need sufficient oxygen to use lactate. If hypoxia is the cause, then an oxygen concentrator can help. But proper testing is needed to make sure there isn't a problem which can be made worse with oxygen treatments.

ChrisD

Hi @SmokinJoeFraz93 I find this as well, that my breathing patterns have completely changed during the day and at night. I'm trying to put a finger on what it could be, inflammation in the brain and around the respiratory system? I have really low stress tolerance now, and the smallest stressor can change my breathing and then cause symptoms (But I don't feel stressed, in fact I am calm almost all of the time). Two things that have really helped me are high doses of Vitamin C for inflammation - sinuses clear almost immediately and any muscle pain/tightness subsides. Also deep breathing techniques have helped, but it all feels as though I am just treating the problem at the surface level and not the root cause...

Thanks for the reply. A finger pulse oximeter considered me normal also.
What testing did you actually do? If it wasn't during a phase of air hunger/dyspnea then I suggest you get a pulse oximeter and a lung capacity meter to monitor yourself then.
As an example, I had a growing feeling of dyspnea whilst lying down about 90 minutes ago. After sitting up and taking Paracetamol to get my feelings of panic under control, I fitted my oximeter (CMS50I). My readings were typically 94%, the bottom acceptable limit for many, with short period of 92%. Now, feeling better and sitting up at my laptop, I have readings of 98%-99%. My lung capacity readings have been well over 500 recently and just now barely made 400.

I, too, feel better for being cool.

You will find some threads in the Autonomic, Cardiovascular, and Respiratory section useful.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@SmokinJoeFraz93 - lactic acidosis can be caused by thiamine deficiency.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/026156149390060H
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3388689/

You might try taking thiamine and see if it helps. A moderate dose (100 mg.) helps my energy. This won't solve the underlying pathology of ME/CFS, but it might help with your symptoms. Some people take more, but this dose works for me.

This article talks about the use of high-dose thiamine for fibromyalgia. I know that FM is not ME/CFS, but this is interesting all the same.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3669831/