• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oxford University research into ME/CFS - MEA Update

What is particularly encouraging about the situation in Oxford (and this is not unique) is that we now have a growing number of top research scientists involved in muscle/mitochondrial disease, exercise physiology, metabolomics, exosomes etc with no previous involvement or interest in ME/CFS research wanting to get involved with a range of biomedical research studies.

I would add that we are also talking to the clinicians in Oxford.

It would be great if we could have a fourth centre of excellence into biomedical research art the University of Oxford - which is what we are trying to achieve

@charles shepherd this great news.

Indeed I think it is potentially massive and should be a top priority for the MEA for 2017.
Ultimately it is research that will find the answers and pride a cure, we simply don't have enough and can never have too many quality researchers.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
My bolding:

MEA on FB said:
OUR 'MAKE ME BETTER' APPEAL GOES ON...

Helen Hyland, our fund-raising manager, writes:

This is a note to thank everyone who has kindly donated to our Christmas Appeal. With gift aid, the total presently stands at a magnificent £62,445.

Dr Karl Morten's original project is now fully funded - thanks to your generosity - but the appeal will remain open until the end of February to help us support and extend his work in Oxford.

Dr Karl says: “Our goal is to make Oxford University a global centre for research into ME. The studies we do here will provide pilot data for future grant applications to pharmaceutical companies and charitable grants that will help us push the boundaries of ME research.”

Thanks again - sixty thousand times over.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1281078391949816&id=171411469583186

Very glad to hear that Dr Morten is being ambitious with this!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Additional interesting stuff from Dr Morten:

MEA said:
“There is so much science coming out now, globally,” says Dr Karl Morten (pictured), the man tasked with leading a team of researchers in a new study, funded by the ME Association’s Christmas Appeal.

“It makes you think: ‘what shall we do?’. Is there one of these studies that’s worth following up on? If there is, which way shall we take it? And how?”

In October, when we first spoke about the appeal launch, he was quietly upbeat – chatting cautiously about being 52 and ‘looking for a clinical problem which I can invest the last ten to 15 years of my research career to really make a difference’.

Now it’s sounding more like fighting talk; making Oxford a centre for global research into ME; pulling in a further £300,000 for more studies and other scientific avenues that he and the team are hoping to explore – more of which later.

It’s all become, he says later, “a bit more ambitious.”

So what changed? The release of those studies, which open up a whole new set of questions, was timely. As was the groundswell of support from the Christmas appeal, Make ME Better.

The campaign set out to raise £50,000 in four months. It smashed the target in a breathtaking six weeks and now, as it draws to a close, stands at a scrape over £60,000. Money raised by it will be used to fund Dr Morten and a team from Oxford and Newcastle universities to study metabolomics – chemical clues left behind after changes in cells....

Read the rest here:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...then-five-come-along-at-once-2-february-2017/

I just googled "ciriega + pyruvate" and the only result is the ME article linked above.
Does anyone know what study he is referring to?