• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Overwhelmed

Since weeks I feel so terrible overwhelmed everyday at the same time (10 am - 3 pm). Even if I do nothing the whole day. Like a clockwork..
At first there is a print on chest and then the overwhelming feeling is coming slowly and gets stronger and stronger with every minute.
If I do nothing (no medication) it gets so strong I feel everytime like I am dying now, because my heart hurts then or I can't breath and swallow for a short time.
Today I took 1 mg temesta, which is pretty much for me, because normally I do well with 0,25 mg (take it once in a week). It had a strong calming down effect but the overwhelmed feeling was there like before.
("just" breathing got easier then and the swallow feeling was not so strong). I really really don't know what I should do. This is no longer bearable. It takes my last energy.
Could this be a psychological problem
or is this a physical problem? hormones? don't know?
I got the overwhelmed feeling often for months after doing to much at day, but now I am bedridden
and do nearly nothing. And I am confused what's happening to me.

xx,
Mirijam

I'm sorry you are experiencing this. Is there anything about this time of day before you got sick that was stressful or scary? It sounds like a panic attack or extreme anxiety.

There are some things you can do to figure it out.

1. Go to your doctor to make sure there is nothing physically going on (I know...besides the ME/CFS)

2. I think there is medication for panic attacks...is that what temesta is for?

3. Since you still have the overwhelming feeling, even after the temesta, there is probably some emotional reason behind it. You have some options for this:

a.) Make an appointment with a therapist who specializes in anxiety. Some might do an appointment over the phone.
b.) If you are feeling desperate, is there a Crisis Phone number you can call for immediate advice? Search online for one and have it available for the next time you feel this way.

Here are some websites I found by searching 'crisis hotlines in austria'

http://www.telefonseelsorge.at/

http://kundendienst.orf.at/humanitaeres/kummernummer.html

You are going to be okay!

this could be a problem, because I can't talk more than a few sentences a day :(
yeah temesta is for panic attacks. I know panic attacks for years, but never had them at the same time of day?
maybe an extremly anxiety automatic running progress?

Old Bones

maybe an extremly anxiety automatic running progress?

Your first post mentioned, among other symptoms, that during the episodes you are concerned about, you "can't swallow". Problems with swallowing are most commonly due to dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system, so I think your suggestion (above) could very well be at least partially behind what you are experiencing. Autonomic nervous system problems are almost universal among ME/CFS patients. Recently, I, too, have been having difficulty swallowing brought on by, if you can believe it, too much concentration knitting. I have no history of true anxiety, although this illness is sometimes improperly diagnosed as such. So, don't be too quick to blame what you are experiencing on anxiety.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Since weeks I feel so terrible overwhelmed everyday at the same time (10 am - 3 pm). Even if I do nothing the whole day. Like a clockwork..

The quantity of many chemicals in the body rise and fall throughout the day and night. If you could discover which hormones or other chemicals are known to change during that time of day then maybe you could counter the effects you're experiencing. @Hip might know more about this.

waiting

You might also check you heart rate before, during & after these daily episodes -- could be useful info for your DR.

Perhaps it might be anxiety fueled by a feeling of helplessness? Do you think this has a psychological aspect stemming from unhappiness?

In my experience, when things weren't going well for me in life, I used to have these anxiety attacks but they were not specific to a certain time of day, like your case.

hey guys.
Haven't seen the newest replies until yet. got no email?! Just want to tell, the print on chest comes from my stomach. If I take gastroprotection it's fine. It makes sense, because I eat everyday at 10 am. The swallowing is getting better now (I believe this is neurological, got other neurological symptoms the last weeks too..and they are getting better now). The overwhelmed feeling is there like before.. Makes me crazy and unfortunaltely no relaxing method can help (tried so much). Maybe just another shitty symptom of the illness