• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Overstimulation With Small Doses Of Methylation Support

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post but I figured I'd give it a shot. I have had wonderful improvement through supporting methylation with a variety of supplements. However, even at low doses and careful balancing, anything that makes me feel truly better (better mood, more social, more energy, more endurance, etc.) comes at the cost of overstimulation, panic and sweating. Could this be as simple as histamine release in response to inflammation (need to take care of inflammation before supporting methylation)? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you all.

determined

Tigger, for me, the methylation supplements (methylcobalamin and methyltetrahydrofolate) are incredibly powerful at almost homeopathic doses. In several years I've never increased my dose and believe they have helped me tremendously. For you, how low is "low?" Maybe it's too much for you.

Hi. The best example is for a low dosage is one of these - Pure Encapsulations - Nutrient 950 without Iron. The ingredients are as follows:

VALUES LISTED HERE ARE FOR 3 CAPSULES (AND I REACT FROM JUST ONE):
-Vitamin A (as beta carotene)...7,500 IU
-Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid)...500 mg
-Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) (D3)...400 Iu
-Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol succinate)...200 IU
-Thiamin (as thiamin HCI) (B1)...50 mg
-Riboflavin (as vitamin B2 and 28% riboflavin 5' phosphate (activated B2))...34.75 mg
-Niacin (as niacinamide and 42% inositol hexaniacinate)...86 mg
-Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCI and 39% as pyridoxal 5' phosphate (activated B6))...20.5 mg
-Folate (as Metafolin, L-5-MTHF)...400 mcg
-Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin)...500 mcg
-Biotin...400 mcg
-Pantothenic acid (as calcium pantothenate) (B5)...200 mg
-Calcium (as calcium citrate)...150 mg
-Iodine (as potassium iodide)...100 mcg
-Magnesium (as magnesium citrate)...100 mg
-Zinc (as zinc picolinate)...12.5 mg
-Selenium (as selenomethionine)...100 mcg
-Copper (as copper glycinate)...1 mg
-Manganese (as manganese aspartate)...2.5 mg
-Chromium (as chromium polynicotinate)...100 mcg
-Molybdenum (as molybdenum aspartate)...50 mcg
-Potassium (as potassium aspartate)...49.5 mg
-Boron (as boron glycinate)...1 mg
-Vanadium (as vanadium asparate)...100 mcg
-Proprietary mixed carotenoid blend (as lutein, lycopene, zeaxanthin)...425 mcg

hixxy

That's a lot for starting out if you're taking the full 3 capsules. Start on part of a capsule and titrate as tolerated.

Cheesus

I don't have anything constructive to say regarding your stimulation dilemma, however I would like to note that you should be taking sublingual b12.

Also, with so many different things in the supplement, it is possible that either the stimulation and/or improvemwnt has nothing to do with methylation or any of the B bitamins at all.

caledonia

I second what the others have said. Low is under 50mcg. Some people have trouble with even that.

I'm doing 20mcg B12 and much less folate.

The multi has many ingredients - hard to tell which ones are stimulating, although the B vitamins are the most notorious for that.

And the B12 is not sublingual so it barely absorbs. It could cause methyl trapping over time.

I should have clarified that I take sublingual methylcobalamin along with the Nutrient 950 capsule.

@caledonia, are you just breaking crumbs off of the tablets and assuming it's roughly 20 mcg?

Also, I've taken much larger amounts of just methylfolate and mb12 before without these issues but also without so many positive effects. I'm assuming taking all these nutrients together, even at relatively low doses, causes too much synergy, and hence, overstimulation and related negative symptoms. It is very frustrating trying to pinpoint the appropriate dosages and necessary cofactors.

caledonia

I should have clarified that I take sublingual methylcobalamin along with the Nutrient 950 capsule.

@caledonia, are you just breaking crumbs off of the tablets and assuming it's roughly 20 mcg?

Also, I've taken much larger amounts of just methylfolate and mb12 before without these issues but also without so many positive effects. I'm assuming taking all these nutrients together, even at relatively low doses, causes too much synergy, and hence, overstimulation and related negative symptoms. It is very frustrating trying to pinpoint the appropriate dosages and necessary cofactors.

I'm using liquid methylcobalamin and have it diluted so that one drop equals 1mcg. See my doc Start Low and Go Slow in my signature link.