• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Overmethylation: folinic acid vs methylfolate

sb4

I'm fairly confused. I have read @Freddd say that it isnt overmethylation and is just paradoxical folate deficiency and or potassium deficiency. And also that folinic acid causes blockage of methylfolate.

I have tried 400mcg metafolin + 1mg hydrox and it makes me wired and destroys my sleep (however helps my heart problems a lot) after a few days I stopped this and replaced with folinic acid 800mcg and my sleep is much better.

What have people done to get rid of overmethylation? I have taken niacin in doses of grams across the course of day and night without lasting help.

Anyone had success with B6/B2/GABA for overmethylation?

Thanks!

CCC

1 mg B12 as a starting dose is pretty high. We started much, much lower.

We found the B12 can cause more issues than anything else.

As for folinic: some people do much better on folinic acid than on methylfolate. So if it works for you, it's probably best to go with it. It's not so good for us.

sb4

Well I had poor sleep again yesterday with it so maybe its not so good.

My main confusion: is insomnia due to paradoxical folate deficiency and thus the way to beat it is more folate
or
is it due to overmethylation and therefore more folate would make it worse...

Gondwanaland

Thyroid support might be needed.
Waking up in the middle of the night = hypo
Early awakening = hyper

In my case, methylfolate made me hyper depleting B1 and copper.

sb4

I might have to consider multi b complex then, I had 800mcg methylfolate and 1mg hb12 with loads of potassium and nicinamide (and some b6 and b2) however sleep was awful again. I woke up after 3hrs with my mind and heart racing. Was this just midnight low potassium? Or was it my double +/+ COMT and MAO-A not breaking down adrenaline / serotonin fast enough?

bertiedog

Both extra methylfolate and extra folinic acid above 250 mcg of each substance cause me overstimulation issues and also give me severe migraines (they can convert to excess glutamate and I have a problem with the enzyme here as well as COMT and MAO A.

Pam

sb4

Both extra methylfolate and extra folinic acid above 250 mcg of each substance cause me overstimulation issues and also give me severe migraines (they can convert to excess glutamate and I have a problem with the enzyme here as well as COMT and MAO A.

Pam
I have read of people plowing through a week or 2 of insomnia and just upping there methylfolate and then there sleep is fixed. Do you think this will work with COMT ? I'm hessitant to try as I couldn't take completely destroyed sleep for too long a period of time...

bertiedog

@ab4 I don't think so from my experience. I can never sleep when I am taking something that overstimulates me, it always ends up with loads of suffering so I just settle on taking a variety of supplements to help with the mitochondria but not at high doses. I also eat a lot of natural floats in my food every day and probably get lots of B12 too.

What has been essential for me was to have my hormonal issues treated, i.e. thyroid and adrenal plus very low dose oestrogen. For several months now I have had great energy that feels natural but it still runs out on exertion after about 30 minutes of exercise.

Pam