• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Overgrowth of good bacteria

Gavman

Hi,

I did a bio screen not long ago and it showed 10x the normal amount of both lacto and bifido strains.
As these are good bacteria, my doctor assumed I was a probiotic junky maybe and didn't look further.
Someone suggested it is probably SIBO and its not healthy to have that amount.
Now I am generally constipated and get insane migraines after sugar, protein and feel sick after eating fats. I have low pancreatic function too. According to my UAA and organic acids test, I have very low arginine and low amino acids in general. The OATs test pointed to urea cycle problems.
Does anyone know a good treatment for this problem?

Gypsy

Gavman

With SIBO, a person can have an overgrowth of bad AND good bacteria. Have you looked into the antibiotic Xifaxan to treat SIBO? Do you also have IBS symptoms? There are other antibiotics that can be used if Xifaxan is too expensive or unattainable, there is a lot of SIBO info online. I get worse with ANY probiotic supplement so I think I just have too much bacteria, period.

Gypsy

Hi,

You might want to repost this in the Treatment area in "The Gut" section, you will probably get more replies!

globalpilot

I think with SIBO you will have bloating and generally feel miserable due to the fermentation.
You can do a hydrogen breath test and methane breath test for SIBO. I'm not entirely convinced though a negative result = no SIBO.

Gavman

Hi,

I did a bio screen not long ago and it showed 10x the normal amount of both lacto and bifido strains.
As these are good bacteria, my doctor assumed I was a probiotic junky maybe and didn't look further.
Someone suggested it is probably SIBO and its not healthy to have that amount.
Now I am generally constipated (3 days) and get insane migraines after sugar, protein and feel sick after eating fats. I have low pancreatic function too. According to my UAA and organic acids test, I have very low arginine and low amino acids in general. The OATs test pointed to urea cycle problems, orotate was very high, Richvank said it was the highest he's seen.
Does anyone know a good treatment for this problem?