August 8th, 2018: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe ME
Have you heard of our Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance? Please join Jody Smith in observing this day and honoring the 25% of those with ME/CFS who are most severely ill.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Overactive immune system and early diseases of aging?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by PatJ, May 2, 2018.

1. PatJ

PatJ Forum Support Assistant

Canada
    This article describes how people with HIV are living longer but are getting age related diseases (heart, liver and kidney disease; cancer) earlier than other people their age.

Researchers think it's because of immune system overactivation:
    For those of us with ME who never get colds and flus, some doctors think it's because of an overactive immune system. Does anyone know if people with ME are prone to developing age-related diseases earlier than usual? If so, maybe supplements that help to reduce an overactive immune system (such as CBD oil) would be a good idea?

CarolB, sb4, Binkie4 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    Diseases of aging generally derive from impaired mitochondrial function and accumulating oxidative stress. This includes type 2 diabetes, cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, liver disease, etc.

Optimizing mitochondrial function, improving the microbiome and addressing nutrient deficiencies, and reducing oxidative send nitrosative stress might be steps to take.

The MitoSwab test I recently posted about my experience with could be a good tool to measure progress, as would measuring lipid peroxides, glutathione, 8OHdG, and homocysteine. Monitoring microbiome and nutrient status would be worthwhile, too.

PatJ, tiredowl and alkt like this.
  3. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    FOXO genes are thought to be related to ageing

See more popular forum discussions.