• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Orthostatic Intolerance

Hi Andrew,

I was advised by a doctor to drink 2 litres of water in 24 hrs and ensure sufficient salt intake (which I think is generally about 6g (2.4g sodium, including salt in processed food) in order to counteract hypovolemia which is possibly linked in with POTS. Getting sufficient water in is another matter. Like many, I have had a lot of probs with night sweats, increased urination when over do it and a lack of thirst too, so its difficult to rehydrate. An OT suggested smoothies to get the liquid in which was helpful.

Re feeling sicker. Perhaps hangovers with its its headache, light sensitivity, body aches perhaps a good example of dehydration (among other things). Our cells simply cant work properly without sufficient water.

Drinking enough didnt cure POTS but it did help with the faintness/gormless feeling. Also helped reduce sore throats and intermittent light sensitivity. But as with everything there's great variability and dehydration often catches me unawares.

Of course you might be struggling with something entirely different! And apart from anything else, dysautonomia may well play a role.
If you think it is, in part, dehydration, probably best to work with a doc on this so can check your electrolytes in your full blood count before hand and keep an eye on your blood pressure.

As an aside I've noticed that my gums are particularly pale when I'm dehydrated - a very pale/white pink instead of a mid range healthy pink. Not sure that drs use gum colour to check hydration levels but vets certainly do.

ixchelkali

I don't have one, or even know what kind to get. Let along know how to read it.

We've got a Panasonic, which we bought on Amazon a few years ago. It was about $25 then, but they're about $40 now. We took it to the doctor's office to compare it with theirs, to make sure it was calibrated right, and it is. It's dead easy to use. You just wrap the cuff around your arm and push the button. It does its thing for a minute and then the blood pressure is displayed on a digital screen, along with the heart rate. It takes no brain power at all.

Andrew

Some more thoughts, after paying more attention to what's going on. If I set on the couch slightly reclined, I notice my neck muscles are under a lot of strain. But if I lie down, my head is supported. I think the strain on my neck might be a strain that causes the symptoms to increase.

Another thing. When someone gets the flu, it is not the flu that makes him feel sick. It is his body that makes him feel sick. His body is producing pain, fatigue, malaise, etc. to get him to lie down and take it easy. It could be that when we are vertical, the body sends out more illness signals to get us to lie down. I'm not saying POTS, etc. are not real. Just that there is another body process that could be adding to this.

I notice that usually I feel exactly like I used to with a horrible case of the flu. Except now I'm not coughing or sneezing. But it's the same illness feeling. The same body sensation, and the same inability to focus. And on some days it is so bad I lie in bed feeling as if I'm doomed. As if I will never be able to get out of bed. But then, in anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours it lessens. I'm still feeling sick, but I can get up and move to the couch. I can walk to the kitchen and fix something to eat. It's as if I was hit with a symptom storm, and then it goes back to being somewhat manageable.