• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Origin of XMRV and its Demise as a Human Pathogen Associated with CFS

Jemal

Who says there are too many people for the planet? Perhaps these people have an agenda of their own? Wasn't it announced that global cooling was going to be an issue in the future, this is from the 70's, and what happened? Oh, now we have Global Warming, I mean Climate Change. The climate changes? who would have figured that. I am skeptical. Perhaps I am selfish, but I have enough on my plate that I am not going to worry about that, not my money or precious energy!

GG

Sometimes you get a short period of global warming before another ice age. So we might still get both! :angel:

currer

Hi, Ive just read this paper. It is very much "the official line". The Robert Koch Institute is the German equivalent of the CDC.
Das ist nichts Neues!
Dont worry about it.

redo

"Despite all warnings that the link between CFS and XMRV could not be confirmed, many patients suffering from this debilitating disease and desperately hoping for a cure started taking anti-retroviral drugs."

The small number of patients, who are being treated by a small number of doctors, are suddenly "many". Can we multiple our dismal research funds that way? How many patients can afford this treatment? How many have medical practitioners who are willing to prescribe the drugs at this point? Not many.

Hmmm. Do they know of something I don't know of? I have PM'ed, searched and went through ever corner of the www for such info, and I've come out with a handful. A one digit number of patients.

I think the reason they are frightened that this tiny group does something new, is the same as I mentioned in the other thread: In the treatment of CFS, when a doc does a risk calculation, they compare the situation where everything is hunka-dory fine with this new and unknown path. And the answer of what they'll do gives itself.

If you're at the end of your rope, they give you no other option than tying the rope around your neck, and jumping from a chair. What I mean is that you're perfectly welcome to order an appointment at a euthanasia clinic. That's fine, go ahead. The medical team will assist you.

But the medical world wont allow you to take a long shot, and try a treatment, because they argue - well, eehhhh - it's a long shot (as if we don't know that). Nothing has pissed me off more in the course of my disease than that attitude. It's my body, but I have to leave it over to a doc who couldn't care less.

ARVs are just one thing. If I'd like to try other treatments, they are often denied by the doctor on the basis that there are no guarantee it'll work (who doesn't know that). And of course - everyone knows that it might even backfire. People are perfectly aware. But they never seem to care if a well informed suffering patient is more than willing to take a long shot to try to get out of this living **** (fill in blank). For some reason that doesn't matter.

MonkeyMan

Agree with your last post, Redo. This is why doctors like Enlander are particularly exceptional and wonderful; in the 13 years I've known him, he has never refused to consider a treatment that could potentially be helpful.

Drew

Seen here: http://www.virology.ws/2011/05/31/xmrv-is-a-recombinant-virus-from-mice/

>> How can these findings be reconciled with the published evidence that
sera of ME/CFS patients from the 1980s contain antibodies to XMRV?
>> These data demonstrate that XMRV was not present in the original CWR22
prostate tumor, but arose by recombination of PreXMRV-1 and PreXMRV-2

It may happen that the XMRV exists from a lot of time ago, and that the process of converting PreXMRV-1 and 2 as XMRV is something likely to happen assiduously, so when scientists saw it in lab was one of the a lot of times it happens more than expected. Probably the recombination is something that happens daily and the lab got a shot, by chance.