• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Organic Research Database?

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
In the early days (80s, early 90s) I had a few books on ME which always mentioned findings of physical damage or proposed viral/bacterial etiology. Having gone through all the suggested therapies, supplements etc I gave up researching the illness for a long time. However, since joining this forum I'm pretty overwhelmed by the number of apparently robust findings that support the organic model.

Yet I also constantly see statements on websites that should know (UK NHS, BUPA, BBC etc etc) that the cause of ME is unkown (OK!) and that there is no evidence of physical illness?

Is anyone aware of a list - or even better a database - of all the findings to date of a proposed organic cause or evidence of organic pathology?

I can visualise a relational database with fields including title, authors, authors' speciality, abstract, on- line link to full paper, perhaps categorised by symptom studied or type of causal agent studied, citations, refutations, maybe even some assessment of the 'value' of the study based on the usual parameters.

Sounds like a lot of work (unless it has already been done) but what a resource that would be to educate the medical profession and counter the psych lobby, plus allow ME researchers to keep in touch and link up with others!

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
Thanks for the link, Marco! Great stuff.. I haven't seen many of these articles. I agree with you that there is a great need for the type of 'database' or 'list' you mentioned. Maybe Co-Cure's research archives are the closest thing.. but they're not indexed and compiled in quite the same way.

A summary by Prof. Hooper that may be very useful is mentioned in the article you linked to; unfortunately most of us only have access to the abstract...

"Excellent regularly updated peer-reviewed overview paper - see:
Myalgic encephalomyelitis: a review with emphasis on key findings in biomedical research.
Professor M Hooper. J Clin Pathol 2007; 60:466471. Doi: 10.1136/jcp.2006.042408."
http://jcp.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/60/5/466

If anyone has university, etc library priveleges and can get the full paper, it would be much appreciated!! :D

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Hi Dr.

Good isn't it! I just found the site this morning while trying to answer my own question by doing a google search on 'myalgic organic research'.

I'm surprised I haven't come across this site before. Seriously good stuff for what appears to be a small regional site (if thats not too patronising).

Lily

*Believe*
Thanks for the link, Marco! Great stuff.. I haven't seen many of these articles. I agree with you that there is a great need for the type of 'database' or 'list' you mentioned. Maybe Co-Cure's research archives are the closest thing.. but they're not indexed and compiled in quite the same way.

A summary by Prof. Hooper that may be very useful is mentioned in the article you linked to; unfortunately most of us only have access to the abstract...

Myalgic encephalomyelitis: a review with emphasis on key findings in biomedical research.
Professor M Hooper. J Clin Pathol 2007; 60:466471. Doi: 10.1136/jcp.2006.042408."

If anyone has university, etc library priveleges and can get the full paper, it would be much appreciated!! :D

It's still kinda early out here in the west, but hopefully our dear Gracenote will be able to access this for us. (hint hint - oh I guess that was a little more than a hint:ashamed:)

K

_Kim_

Professor M Hooper. J Clin Pathol 2007; 60:466–471. Doi: 10.1136/jcp.2006.042408."

According to my University library, I should have access, but don't. It looks like some of the archives on this journal are missing. They go up to v.60 (1) 1-112 Jan 2007, then nothing else is archived until v(61) in 2008.

I did find that BMJ printed a correction...what a tease:

Update to Hooper 60 (5): 466
J Clin Pathol 2008;61:1072 doi:10.1136/jcp.2006.042408corr1

• Notice
A statement from the BMJ Group

Myalgic encephalomyelitis: a review by Malcolm Hooper
The BMJ Group wishes to inform readers that a series …