• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oral herpes manifestations. Do you have them?

What is your relationship with herpes?

• I have never had an oral herpes

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • I've got a lot of oral herpes, more frequently than most people

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • I've had some oral herpes all my life in a normal fashion

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

Owl42

Psychedelic bird
I've seen a discussion in a CFS group about having or not oral herpes manifestations, I personally have never had one in my entire life and it looks like most of us have never had it or have too many of them.

What do you think of this? Does this point to a bizarre response to herpeviruses? I think we could all get some interesting info from this poll and maybe doctors could use it.

Kathevans

I tested positive for HHV-6 recently (and in the past) and have never had a cold sore. My father used to have them, however. Not to say there was anything illicit going on there! :lol: Only that they're in the family. And yes, my doc said just yesterday when I saw her for other things that this was the cold sore herpes.

I do have mouth/tongue issues, though, which came about after years of zantac and a dose of antibiotics. Possibly bacterial. Doctors have not been able to test for it and just shrug it off.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
I answered 'all my life in a normal fashion'.

Except that: I used to get cold sores fairly frequently as a child and teenager, less frequently in the early years of ME but in the last 25 years, I think I've had one outbreak, perhaps two, and certainly nothing in the last 10 years until very recently - I've had two outbreaks in the last six months.

Old Bones

Like @Scarecrow , I had "normal" cold sores (once or twice a year) starting at age two, so I've been told. Post-ME, I didn't have a single cold sore for the first 22 years. Then, I had two "doozies" during two-weeks of extreme stress. Since then (a period of six years), not one.

Gingergrrl

I have never had an oral herpes in my life, yet strangely I test IgM+ for HSV 1 & 2, which is more evidence that my immune system is just in complete chaos/hyperdrive cranking out antibodies IMO.

Amaya2014

I had my first cold sore in 2005 ( shortly after military basic training....hmmm). I only had one outbreak after that. Since CFS it's been several times a year :(. Lately, I've been wiping my face with diluted tea tree oil as soon as I feel a tingle and this has been effective in keeping the sores away.

frozenborderline

i've been having outbreaks of cold sores or canker sores in my mouth very frequently recently, it's very unpleasant but i also wonder if it points toward being immunocompromised.