• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oral anti-fungals

helen41

My toenail fell off recently, and a culture showed a fungal infection (charming! LOL). My Dr.'s office just called, saying she called in a prescription for me (Lamisil, I think).
I tend to be the one in charge of my care, who knows what I can and can't take, but I don't see posts about this here. Is this a medicine I can take safely?

Misfit Toy

Oh no. I took Lamisil and was deathly ill. It's very very hard on the liver. When I say I became really sick, I mean panic attacks and the worst lethargy and stomach distress- and just so sick.

I had gone to a nail salon for a pedicure and I ended up with a fungal infection. You may be able to take it, but I have heard that some well people can't even take it. I didn't have a good experience and I was much better then with my CFS. I was living and productive. It brought me down for months.

RUkiddingME

Unfortunately I don't know anything about Lamilsil. It was interesting to hear about your toenail falling off as I had a similar issue. At the very beginning of developing ME/CFS I lost the toe nail on each on my second toes, just out of the blue, all the doctor said was " interesting ". I have been on Valcyte for almost six months and someone advised me to take NAC for liver support. I noticed my toenails getting much healthier and brighter looking. I then researched NAC a little more and found that it has anti-fungal properties. Interesting... Good luck!

ukxmrv

I have never taken Lamisil. Way back when anti-candida diets and treatment were in fashion I tried Nystatin and Ketaconazole. Couldn't tolerate the Nystatin (felt poisoned) but the Ketaconazole cleared up some fungal infections I had been getting for a while.

rosie26

Hi Helen41, I had a fungal problem on three of my toes February last year. Never had fungal problem with my toes in my life so was a real surprise.

My doctor prescribed Lamisil (Terbinafine) which I was to take for 3 months. (There is a site on the internet where you can read patient experiences of this tablet, can't remember the name, will try and find out).
I was quite nervous of taking this tablet, as when I read the information sheet it said can cause liver damage and some have needed liver transplant after being on it ! ). I swallowed the tablet for 30 days, felt awful on it, I felt like if I continued something awful was going to happen. I decided the risks weren't worth it, so I stopped and wished I hadn't taken it at all really. My toenails came right, maybe that was all I needed 30 days on it ?

I wouldn't recommend it myself, it's bad enough having ME without stuffing up your liver as well. Some people have no problems at all taking the tablet for 3 months, I think the most common symptom is losing your sense of taste.

helen41

thank you all. After doing some reading, and also, being afraid I will infect my husband as well, I decided to give it a try. First dose today, and I don't feel any negative effects thus far

helen41

I have been taking it for over a week now, and have had no problems with the medicine at all. I have not had a history of chemical sensitivities, so maybe I am just lucky.
My next liver enzymes are in a month, so I will let you know if any are more unusual than usual

rosie26

That's great ! Hope you continue to be one of the lucky ones :) as it does do an excellent job at getting rid of the problem. I think it was the 2nd, 3rd week when I started to feel crap, big time.