• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Opioids and Gastroparesis

I’m dealing with a new stomach problem that I’ve had since taking Movantik a month ago. I had the most extreme reaction. Very very bad stomach pain. I am guessing resulting in inflammation, damage to my stomach lining. I’ve only had yogurt and light food but I need more guidance. Could you give me a better idea of the diet you mentioned. If it’s in the thread I am sorry to ask about it. Not doing great. Btw someone told me to try vaping marijuana. It’s not the same as smoking exactly. I’m guessing any smoke can be irritating for some gut stuff. I had irritable bowel in my 20’s and smoking pot helped like magic.
One more thing - high alkaline water has helped me a lot. It's pricey, but every time I go back to the purified water, I can feel it. In my little neighborhood, Safeway has the best selection of water.

Nanni

Thanks Kath. Back at you. Gut pain is so emotionally exhausting sometimes. I’m doing just liquids since yesterday afternoon when I read your message. I’m drinking unsweetened coconut milk and bone soup and I am already feeling better. I really think you’re right about giving your stomach a break. I have leaky gut so am taking a great supplement from Pure. L-glutamine, aloe vera and the good licorice root. It seems to help, maybe helping to heal my stomach lining. Also, I got a tip here about taking some form of acid with high fat meals. That has been important for me to add. I can only tolerate a little lemon juice but it helps as long as it’s not too much. Also I get a little vitamin c. I know vitamin c is so good but that supplement typically upsets my stomach. Let me know how your appointment goes. I always forget to bring questions and wish I had. Good luck.

Too bad I can't remember everything all at one time that has helped.
DGL Licorice chewable tablets have enabled me to completely eliminate Tums. I ordered it on-line and swear by it.

Thanks Kath. Back at you. Gut pain is so emotionally exhausting sometimes. I’m doing just liquids since yesterday afternoon when I read your message. I’m drinking unsweetened coconut milk and bone soup and I am already feeling better. I really think you’re right about giving your stomach a break. I have leaky gut so am taking a great supplement from Pure. L-glutamine, aloe vera and the good licorice root. It seems to help, maybe helping to heal my stomach lining. Also, I got a tip here about taking some form of acid with high fat meals. That has been important for me to add. I can only tolerate a little lemon juice but it helps as long as it’s not too much. Also I get a little vitamin c. I know vitamin c is so good but that supplement typically upsets my stomach. Let me know how your appointment goes. I always forget to bring questions and wish I had. Good luck.
Too bad I can't remember everything all at one time that has helped.
DGL Licorice chewable tablets have enabled me to completely eliminate Tums. I ordered it on-line and swear by it.

Nanni

@Otaykj I just reread your message. I didn’t compute your need for iv nutrition first read. A little foggy today. Im so sorry to hear that.. That’s intense. Getting behind on a good diet is such a vicious cycle. Nutrition has been key for me. I was doing much better when I drank fresh raw Keifer. Do you have access to that or raw milk. My acupuncturist got me on it and I was my healthiest when I was seeing her and drinking the keifer. Again vicious cycle, I can’t get to appointments like that right now and hate asking my husband to do yet another favor although he would do it. I have to try this diet and make some changes. I’ve lost 8 pounds in the month since my Movantik episode. I had to get dentures last year and it destroyed my nutrition. I couldn’t eat much but survived on yogurt a lot.I’ve done a lot of powder supplements like fermented vegetables. I think those have saved me.What seems helpful today is that I’m taking small sips at a time and I walk a little after awhile. Anything to keep the motility. I literally have strained muscles in my shoulder from constantly massaging my gut. Not easy stuff to deal with otaykj. Hang in there.

Nanni

@Otaykj I just remembered something I took years ago that really helped called Domperidone. It empties your stomach really quickly, comparatively. I got it from a compounding pharmacy so it was a little pricey. Now I can’t get it anymore. It’s illegal. So stupid. I’m going to look into getting it from Canada. I did it once from Canadadian Pharmacy but the product had something in it that didn’t agree with me but I’m willing to look around, maybe even Mexico. I forgot how well it worked because i was doing pretty stable before the dentures setback. I’m hoping I’m not bugging you with all my posts. I’m feeling better than I have for awhile so I’m in a doing mode. Yay....thanks for your help.

kangaSue

One more thing - high alkaline water has helped me a lot.
Thanks I’ve never heard of that. I’ll give it a try.
You're basically doing the same thing if you add baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to water.
https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Alkaline-Water
I just remembered something I took years ago that really helped called Domperidone. It empties your stomach really quickly, comparatively. I got it from a compounding pharmacy so it was a little pricey. Now I can’t get it anymore.
A reliable online source of domperidone is inhousepharmacy.vu Their website says customers need to provide a current prescription but I've seen several people mention that they don't bother to send in a script and the order still gets dispatched regularly. This supplier has an orally dissolving tablet (Domperon 10) that some people find works better than regular tablets
I did it once from Canadadian Pharmacy but the product had something in it that didn’t agree with me
I don't tolerate the Motilium brand of this. I think it's to do with the cottonseed oil in it, something which the generic one I use doesn't have.
Mosapride is another option to domperidone. Compounding pharmacies in the U.S. can supply this although your FDA was looking into restricting this last year.

Nanni

@kangaSue great information. Thanks so much. I can’t tolerate Motilium either. I think fillers and stabilizers in medications and supplements are a bigger deal than I realized. A potentially helpful treatment can be derailed by unnecessary side effects. It’s rare to have all the facts. Didn’t know about the cottonseed oil.