• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Opinions on my 23andme results?

Sea

I've got my results from 23andme and have added them to my signature. I don't know how to add the Genetic Genie results chart like others have done for an easier and more colourful view but I can learn that later.

Any opinions or advice on where to start would be appreciated. My cognitive function is very poor at the moment and learning something new is really hard work.

My results indicate that I might have trouble with methyl donors. Maybe that's why I've never lasted more than a few days trying VitB supplements before feeling wired, irritable and having trouble sleeping even though extremely tired.

I just got my 23andme results last Wednesday and I share your +/+ COMT V158M, COMT H62H mutations. My other two ++ mutations are VDR Taq and MTHFR C667T.

You are +- for VDR Taq, which from what I understand that gives you a little more wiggle more in tolerating methyl donors. I'm ++ for VDR Taq and haven't really noticed problems taking methyl supplements.

Like you, my cognitive function isn't very good right now, so I understand how hard it is to take all this in and make sense of it! Maye we can help each other with the +/+ COMT V158M, COMT H62H mutations. Two minds are better than one, even if both of out minds are not at there cognitive best!

Kat

Hi Sea,

Have you found any helpful ways of addressing your +/+ COMT V158M, COMT H62H sstatus? There's not a lot out there relative to some of the other mutations on how to deal with them. I have a slightly different VDR Taq status than you in that I'm +/+, which I suppose means I can handle methyl donors with some ease. They can make me a little edgy but more energized.

You mentioned vitamin B supplements have made you feel wired. Were you taking the bio identical B vitamins without synthetic B's like folic acid? I think Yasko recommends rotating your methyl groups from day to day when there's a problem with COMT+ and VDR -. Possibly a very low dose of the good, plant derived B vitamins every other day might be helpful

As for the COMT, all I m taking right now is Ginko, and Mucuna Pruriens because my VDR Taq +/+ lowers dopamine.

Have you found any helpful ways to deal with you COMY +/+ status?

Thanks

Sea

Hi ktred,

I've actually been sidelined for the time being as much of my time and energy has been taken up dealing with my parents. My father, who has been very ill for quite some time, deteriorated rapidly and died the day before yesterday after just over a week in hospital.

I will get back to this topic but not just yet

ukxmrv

So sorry to hear about the death of your father, Sea. My condolences to you and your family.

Misfit Toy

Aww...Sea, I am so sorry. What a loss. I can only imagine where you are in your head. Hang in there and take the time you need. I just ordered my test from the same company. When you are feeling better emotionally, we can share notes. Please feel your feelings. I know I will be a bit of a mess when my mom goes.