• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Open Medicine Foundation (OMF) Receives Another Large Donation $350k for Severely Ill Big Data Study

Sasha

Fine, thank you
A guy called John Kim has started a thread on Health Rising. He's a childhood friend of Whitney's. He says:

John Kim on Health Rising said:
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. To give some backstory, my childhood friend has a severe case of ME/CFS and his father is leading an effort at Stanford to research the disease and I really want to do what I can to help ME/CFS as a whole. I'm personally not a scientist so I cannot help in that way, but I do work in advertising and I have a deep understanding on how marketing works as a whole, so I'd like to offer myself to the cause in that way: to help fundraising and raise awareness. I'd like to ask you, the community, a number of questions to help my efforts to raise awareness:

• What stigmas do you deal with on a daily basis from either friends/family/colleagues or doctors/physicians?
• What did you have to go through to get diagnosed?
• Have the stigmas gotten better throughout the years or has it stayed about the same?

Any insights that you guys can give me will be of great help, thank you!

It's clear from that thread that he could be a great asset but could get swamped by the issues, especially around the name. I don't know if there's any way to contact him without having to join the other forum.

snowathlete

Such great news. Two sizeable donations recently as well as all the many other smaller donations from lots of people which add up significantly. So pleased that they have enough to begin their work fully. Important that people continue to support them going forward. I think they are doing an amazing job, and an important one.