August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Online participants needed for Dr Jarred Younger study (serious biomed research)

Discussion in 'Active Clinical Studies' started by Sasha, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Cort published today an account of the very impressive research that Dr Jarred Younger is doing at the University of Alabama (which aims to be a major player in ME/CFS). It looks at the role of neuroinflammation and the microglia in ME/CFS.

Dr Younger needs help in choosing videos to use in an upcoming study and we can help do that. Please take part!

A rare opportunity to help in a major biomedical research programme from the comfort of our own sofas! Let's get stuck in. :)

Sushi, barbc56, Hanna and 4 others like this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Just done it - fun and interesting - I recommend it!

minkeygirl, barbc56 and Valentijn like this.
  3. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    SDSue, barbc56, Bob and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Argh! I didn't notice that thread. I think it's important to have 'biomedical research' in the title and to set the research context (which I realise wasn't available when that thread was started) or people are going to think it's just some psychology thing and not a brain/microglia thing.

Valentijn, barbc56 and Effi like this.
  5. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    Just done it too.

Bob, Valentijn, barbc56 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Me three. One of the videos involved my alma mater! I added a note that it might have biased my reaction to it :D

Bob and Sasha like this.
  7. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Me four.

Sasha and Valentijn like this.
  8. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Me five.

Bob likes this.
  9. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Of course, as I watched the videos I was trying to figure what they were trying to learn from our responses. My best guess is something like whether we could still be optimistic about life while seriously ill. Or, shudder :wide-eyed:, are we depressed with blunted emotional responses?

Any one else?

10. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I didn't think this was an actual research project, but I thought that it may be preparation for a research project. They don't ask if we are patients or not, so I guessed they were just seeking a general response to a selection of videos that they have. That was my interpretation anyway. Beyond that, I couldn't work out what it's purpose was.

Valentijn and Sushi like this.
  11. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    They're trying to choose suitable videos for research into the brain so I assumed they want to identify, for example, which video most people find uplifting or whatever so that they can compare the effect of particular emotions (or perhaps strong emotion vs no emotion) on the brain. In order to do that, they'd need a stimulus that they were confident would evoke that emotion in most people.

Sushi and Bob like this.
  12. SOC

SOC Senior Member

I'm still trying to figure out what they think our emotions have to do with ME. o_O

13. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Seeing emotional material will affect the brain - they're looking for effects in the brain.

I don't see anything sinster in this (though I understand people's caution after the nonsense we've been subjected to. If you read about the research he's doing, it all looks like serious biomed stuff. I don't see any sign that he thinks our emotions cause our disease, or any of that kind of nonsense.

Sushi, Bob and SOC like this.
  14. SOC

SOC Senior Member

I don't, either. Younger is doing excellent biomedical research, so I see no reason to suspect him of going over to the other camp. :) I'm simply curious how looking at emotions is a better measure of something more clearly related to ME symptoms like memory or processing speed. He obviously has something in mind and my curiosity is getting the better of me. :p

mango, Sushi, Bob and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.