• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Online/MP3 meditation retreat of a day or two or more - is there such a thing?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I'd like to go on a meditation retreat but I can't! I'm housebound for all but maybe an hour on an unpredictable good day so doing one of these anywhere except my apartment is sadly out of the question.

I did a little bit of meditating a couple of years ago - Jon Kabat-Zinn's MBSR course from his book and CDs - but got out of the habit so will more or less be starting from scratch. I like the idea of total immersion for a couple of days or so to kick-start myself on it again.

I've found an interesting book - Steve and Rosemary Weissman's '...with Compassionate Understanding: A Meditation Retreat' which looks as though you can kind of use it as the basis for a retreat (I think - I'm reading through my Kindle sample!) but ideally I'd like it via audio so that I've got more of a feeling of time structure and other people (virtually) doing it along with me.

Is there such a thing? I've looked on Amazon and googled a bit but can't find anything. Things calling themselves 'retreats' are often about an hour long, which is not my idea of a retreat! It's hardly my idea of a lunchbreak. :)

Ember

You've reminded me, Sasha, to tap into last month's WCCM (World Community for Christian Meditation) retreat. Thirty-five countries participated in the Bere Island Holy Week Retreat 2013 held in Ireland from 24th to 31th March:

The series consists of 14 videos: 12 talks by Fr. Laurence Freeman, drawing on the writings of St. Benedict and Shantideva, an Easter video allowing participants to send greetings to their communities around the world and a follow-up video recording the impressions of younger meditators.

According to Fr. Laurence, “Not all monks are meditators, but all meditators...are monks.” The form of meditation that he teaches uses a mantra. His discussion of “introversion” and “sloth” early in the retreat may take a little digesting. During the last half of the retreat, he focuses on the Easter story.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks, Ember - hope you enjoyed it!

I'm really looking for a non-religious, real-time retreat with somebody basically saying, 'now do this, now do that' for 15 hours a day or something. I suspect that that doesn't exist! There are plenty of meditation talks online - the lectures that people listen to during retreats at the beginning or end of the day when they're not meditating - but it's the actual timing and content of the meditations I'm after.

I think I'm going to have to resign myself to there being no such thing! In the meantime, I've ordered yet another two books on meditation from Amazon. :eek: