• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"One of the best treatments—exercise—is diligently avoided by many people with CFS."

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
ACE said:
But research suggests that exercise helps improve fatigue, functional status and fitness.

Based on what evidence? Oh, healthy people? Right, so no specific evidence then...

Ditto. I'd give anything to go for a sprint.

I still have plans to do the 900km off-road Mawson Trail cycling experience! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mawson_Trail

One of my friends (who used to go hiking/camping a lot before becoming ill) said he wanted to do it too!

Dear researchers, hurry up and find treatments already!

Dufresne

almost there...
It would be nice if someone with some clout over there in the US could communicate with these morons and let them know how outdated and potentially damaging their simple-minded advice is.
http://www.acefitness.org/fitness-fact-article/2606/work-out-chronic-fatigue/
"research suggests that exercise helps improve fatigue, functional status and fitness."
"People with CFS feel limited to enjoy the benefits of an active life. It won’t be easy to get started, but once you do you may be surprised how daily exercise can help you to reclaim your life."

I was actually an ACE-certified trainer in my previous life. Just another one of life's cute little ironies. Seriously, what idiots. They probably got their information from the same place that says "Flea" of The Red Hot Chilli Peppers had CFS. I mean I'd love to be whacked up on drugs, bouncing around on stage playing bass completely naked except for a sock on my junk...

barbc56

Why don't they get it? Fatigue, even on a chronic bases can be caused by many things such as lack of sleep, burnout, etc. That's not what we have and our fatigue which is only one symptom, is the result of this illness. But then the name CFS doesn't help.

:bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head:

Barb

barbc56

Oh! Oh! Oh! I'd be jumping up and down if I had the energy.

When I looked at the site, there are local listings of Ace Fitness in the sidebar. Guess who is going to be getting a call/personal visit/email/letter in the near future? If I have the energy and don't feel like a vampire has sucked out my bone marrow, that is.

This is the most excited Ive been in a long time. Of course it goes without saying, it would be more exciting if things like this didn't occur. I will have to plan this very carefully, as the devils in the details and presentation is everything.

But they better look out!

Ever hear the phrase teachable moment, Ace? Teachable moments, is my middle name! Even if I have to cram it down your face. Okay, forget the last part as it sounds too exhausting and could backfire.

Don't even think of warning them. This will just stay between us, okay?

I'll be watching, just in case.

Barb

Amaya2014

I called the number listed on the website and was directed to their PR dept. I'm still waiting to hear back. I was wondering why noone was listed as the author, in addition, to why ACE was printing such ignorance.

Then someone posted that the article was a reprint from 2011 in the Woodbury Gazette. That article was written by a Lori Offenhauser, phone 201-681-4822. She did call me back but claimed she doesn't write and had no recollection of the article. I sent it to her but she hasn't responded yet.