• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

One month of CBD Oil and immune shift?

Wayne

Mostly new to this thread, but thought I'd share a few experiences as I get started on my own CBD journey. About six weeks ago, a neighbor gave me three tiny samples of some CBD oil. I took one that morning, another one in the evening, and then one the following day.

The first day I noticed my tinnitus volume went down about 25%, and that first night I slept better. By the next day, I was pleasantly surprised that my tinnitus volume stayed at its lower level, and in general, I felt a little more relaxed. The lowered volume and better sleep lasted another day or so--and then wore off.

My neighbor had left on a trip, so I bought some cbd oil at a local store. Not knowing exactly what I was doing, I bought a bottle of PlusCBDOil that came out as a "spray". Each 2 sprays contained 1 mg. of cbd. I would put 3-4 sprays in my morning tea, and I noticed it gave me a notable energy boost. But after a few days, that began to gradually wear off, until I didn't notice much of a boost at all. I didn't realize until today just how little CBD I was actually taking during this time.

I met with my neighbor again yesterday, and after about 10 minutes, told her I was wearing down, and would need to go home. She offered me another one of those samples, and I did start to perk up. I also noticed a pretty big shift for the rest of the day. Napped better than normal, seemed more grounded and calm than normal. Tinnitus volume "might" have gone down a bit as well.

I would have bought a bottle of this, except for the fact that it was way too expensive. It's a MLM company, called Hales. A 1200 mg bottle cast $130, and a 600 mg bottle cost $100. Today I went to our local COOP, and had a 10% discount coupon. I normally don't muscle test on things, but I did on this occasion (since the prices of this stuff is so high :rolleyes:).

I ended up buy a 1 fl. ounce bottle of a product called, "Ideal CBD by Barleans". It retailed for $70, so I got it for $63. It has a total of 1,125 mg of CBD. So almost the same amount as the bottle I could have bought from my neighbor, but for less than half the price. (Of course, she would say the quality isn't as good--and for all I know, she may be correct).

But I'm going to be giving this a try. And will be taking FAR more CBD than I originally did. The guy I talked to at the store today said that some customers need to take like 25 mg a day to notice anything. Others say they only need about 1-2 mg (1-2 drops) to get noticeable benefit--I think he said especially for helping with sleep.

I recently began applying helichrysum essential oil to the outside of my ears, and noticed the volume of my tinnitus reduced somewhat, and took the intensity of it down a notch as well. I'm planning on applying the CBD oil to my ears as well, and see how that might affect my very troublesome tinnitus situation (started 4 months ago).

Will post updates as they occur. I hope to be reporting some pretty impressive results pretty soon, as my body definitely seems to like this stuff--I just hope it likes this brand! -- (My wife muscle tested me, and she said I tested strong for it--so I guess I did good :)).

Last edited:

Wolfcub

CBD oil does seem to help so many people. I was talking to a woman out walking her dog the other evening and she'd had brain tumours and cancer somewhere else on her body which was being monitored by an oncologist after she stopped chemo. She started on CBD oil and after a little while the tumours had shrunk and she says she feels really well. She's not officially in remission but things are looking up for her.

I wonder why the oil had a good effect then the effect seemed to wear off for you? Yet each time you take it you feel a boost?

I don't think I'd be able to tolerate it unfortunately. Twice in my past I tried cannabis and it made me feel horribly ill, so could never go near it again.

Wayne

I wonder why the oil had a good effect then the effect seemed to wear off for you? Yet each time you take it you feel a boost?

I started feeling a boost when I started on the CBD oil that contained very little CBD oil. So I was only taking 1-2 mg at a time. Since I'm so sensitive, I did feel a boost from just that small amount in the beginning, but it faded over the following days. Which is a cause and effect--too little CBD oil on a daily basis to sustain a boost in energy.
I don't think I'd be able to tolerate it unfortunately. Twice in my past I tried cannabis and it made me feel horribly ill, so could never go near it again.

You may have a misconception about the CBD oil I took and have been talking about. It actually comes from the hemp plant, and not the cannabis plant--two VERY different animals. If you can buy CBD oil in any store, even in those states that have legalized cannabis, you will be getting hemp oil, with virtually no THC.
I ended up buy a 1 fl. ounce bottle of a product called, "Ideal CBD by Barleans".

I took my first dose of this new CBD oil last night (about 6 mg), and it definitely changed my quality of sleep, and ability to sleep in for close to a full 8 hours (a rarity for me). I also felt much more calm, relaxed, and grounded this morning. I'm also experiencing a corresponding improvement in ability to focus. -- So I'm feeling pretty enthused about the prospects for what this might all do for me. I think there's even the potential for it to be a game-changer.​

Wayne

I think there's even the potential for it to be a game-changer.

I was surprised today to have been able to do a fair amount of cleaning and organizing in my bedroom, and not feel like I'm running on empty the whole time. I wasn't "full of energy", but I didn't wear down like I usually do. It feels like another indication that CBD has the possibility to be a game changer for me.
-
P.S. I've noticed my appetite seems to have improved since starting on the CBD oil. Could this be a mild form of "the munchies"? :)

Last edited:

SmokinJoeFraz93

I hadn't had a Cold or Flu for around a year and a half until this week, and prior to that whenever I caught a cold (whilst I had mild CFS and Fibromyalgia) it would help to alleviate some of my symptoms, which made me sure of immune system dysfunction.

Around a month or so a go I started using a few drops of CBD oil a day and I have really noticed the effect of it in terms of sleep (from 6 hours to 9/10 hours), slightly more deep and refreshing but still not great, and also muscle tightness/aching, chest tightness, air hunger etc. improved.

I've noticed a few people on forums saying that it has led to them catching their first cold in many years, which is exactly what has happened to me and not only that but I don't seem to be able to shift what seems to be a 4 day cold for everyone else (7-8 days for me so far).

Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas why?

I feel I’m going through this. I’m never unwel in the sense of flu/viruses/bugs etc. Just 4 months of CBD/cannabis use in reasonable doses has now put me in bed with vomiting, hot flushes and chills as well as no food.

I was wondering maybe it was having a positive affect because I feel much better on it (mitochondrial improvements, stress reduction in my brain and so forth)

Here is my experience using the CBD oil. Two weeks ago, I finished the weekly course one drop per day (5% CBD). I understand that these are micro doses. But it had a strong influence on me. Before that, I constantly suffered from depression and anhedonia, after work I found it difficult to switch to rest, and the weekends were awful for me, since the depression with anhedonia was getting worse. After a week-long CBD course, I have been feeling better for two weeks now: I enjoy walking, communicating with people, listening to music, I easily switch from work to rest, the feeling of exhausting internal tension has passed. I again felt the desire to live!
I still have a lot of unsolved problems: CFS, digestive problems, brain fog. But the CBD helped get rid of some of them.

This is a great thread. My experience with Quicksilver’s CBD oil was/is great—less anxiety, more ease in muscles—and yet I was wondering about immune response. CBD makes me feel a little like Klonopin did, eg. anesthetized, and wondering if this is a good thing. Just a little leery of quick fixes in general.

@halcyon : I think the human study you posted was about a marijuana product. I won’t go near that now. Are you aware of any new studies on human immune response to CBD oil?

Here is an interview with an osteopath who talks about the different healing effects of THC and CBD, starting at around min 42:00. She calls CBD “immune modulating” and considers it to be healing for the blood brain barrier.

Howard

suffering ceases when craving is removed
My post may be slightly off topic, but I felt sharing may be beneficial to others, as I am utilizing CBD oil.

Despite having reservations, I began vaping CBD / THC oil at a ratio of 3:1 in April of 2018 in hopes of attaining a restful sleep. And I slept straight through the night six out of the first eight nights.

And ever since starting, I've been able to take naps throughout the day. Brief naps to be certain, but they are quite effective and help re-energized me when I need them. Prior to this I hadn't been able to nap at all during the previous five years.

As an additional benefit, I began having an appetite, feeling hungry for the first time in five years. This feeling of hunger was intermittent, but it was nearly nonexistent prior to my ingesting.

Before experimenting, I experienced the hunger sensation only a handful of times total during those same five years.

I am not certain if this is all from the CBD / THC oil vaping though. At the same time I began drinking 4 oz of tart cherry juice in the evening, too. But those were the only two changes at the time, so I stuck with both, not wanting to upset the apple cart.

If I remember correctly, the tart cherry juice somehow activates serotonin, which helps produce tryptophan.

After 3 months the benefits seemed to be on the wane. My appetite was still better, and I could still nap during the day if needed, but my night time sleep went back to being byphasic, split into two halves.

I increased the amount of THC, making the CBD / THC oil ratio 1:1, which hasn't seemed to make much of a difference either way.

Now, nearly a year later, I stopped the CBD / THC oil all together for three days. And my sleep suffered greatly. Could be coincidental, I have no way of knowing for certain. In addition, I felt a lack of restfulness or calmness throughout the day, despite the fact I only utilized the product at night.

Next, I'm going to increase the THC again, making the CBD to THC ratio (1:2) to see if it results in a more restful and complete sleep cycle. If not, I will loop back to ingesting CBD oil only.

Hopefully this makes some sense. And it's possible to CBD oil by itself may have more positive results then mixing and matching with the THC. I guess we'll find out soon enough. :)

Also, utilizing the limited amount of THC that I have doesn't initiate any kind of “high” sensation. If anything, the most I felt overall has been a slight “relaxing” feeling, similar to the sensation of eating a large amount of blueberries, or practicing a deep breathing exercise.

H.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas why?

I have SLE (Lupus) and am on immunosuppressants. I have experience taking oral corticosteriods at low to high doses for flares as well as methotrexate. I also use 24% lab verified, heated, hemp derived CBD oil for as a moderately strong anti-depressant (from https://madebyhemp.com/product/hemp-oil-concentrate/ ). This CBD acts as a mild immunosuppressant when taken 2x/day. It is at the level of 5mg of prednisone. I'm not a MD but lupus immunosuppression is usually around 20mg of prednisone during flares to reduce immune activity by 20%. At 5 mg this is a very weak effect, probably around 5% decrease. Since you're a healthy, nonimmune compromised person I doubt it would be enough to give you a cold unless you have low immunity from something else (i.e. stress, excessive exercise). Of course, I'm not a MD so if you need a professional opinion ask one.

Update:
Unfortunately, I had to stop taking CBD oil due to the fact that, as it turned out, it terribly affects the quality of sleep for me. Even after a two week break, taking just two drops in two days leads to poor sleep.

Update 2 (the last, I hope):
Although I stopped taking CBD oil, it looks like it changed me. It is strange, but after a while I began to understand that after a short course a month ago I had changed. The changes are that I have found a kind of inner peace and the ability to enjoy various trifles like listening to music and walking. So now I understand that those $ 60 were worth it :)

godlovesatrier

I feel that my sleep is worse after only 4 days of taking it. It's fantastic stuff but as with all of these things - side effects. I am also worried that it is an immune suppressor, what with coronavirus that is probably not a good thing.