• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

On path to recovery.. Finally

Wayne

That's straight out of the Wessley School, or at least it comes off as it.

Beaker, I understand where you're coming from, but I think you may be unduly parsing words. I myself like to think I'm resourceful, relentless and resilient; perhaps similar to what Commonsense was saying; we're just both using different words for our own unique individual feelings. And similar to Commonsense, I feel my own makeup has been of utmost importance in being able to keep going after so many years (30+) of dealing with some very difficult health issues.

Will my own resiliency result in significant improvement going forward? I have no idea, but I do know that my attitudes serve me very well as a starting point, which at least gives me a very good shot at it, especially as new and important information keeps coming out. Commonsense's story on how he improved is the very kind of useful information that I think has the potential to help many of us on this board. --- Please reconsider using the very problematic term "Wessley school" to describe somebody else's experience.

Last edited:
Hi Carolyn,

My doc plain told me to not go down that route, since it's just going to be a wild goose chase. He was of the opinion there is no point pursuing my condition and it was a lost cause.

Short answer: No never had any histamine or dao tests.

I have tried DAOSin so far.
Thank you for that info, very helpful as I am just about to try some Daosin, and btw I do have low DAO , so will see if it helps ,
All the very best to you !

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
Beaker, I understand where you're coming from, but I think you may be unduly parsing words. I myself like to think I'm resourceful, relentless and resilient; perhaps similar to what Commonsense was saying; we're just both using different words for our own unique individual feelings. And similar to Commonsense, I feel my own makeup has been of utmost importance in being able to keep going after so many years (30+) of dealing with some very difficult health issues.

Will my own resiliency result in significant improvement going forward? I have no idea, but I do know that my attitudes serve me very well as a starting point, which at least gives me a very good shot at it, especially as new and important information keeps coming out. Commonsense's story on how he improved is the very kind of useful information that I think has the potential to help many of us on this board. --- Please reconsider using the very problematic term "Wessley school" to describe somebody else's experience.

I was not commenting on @commonsense.
I get what you are saying. That is why I am fine /w @commonsense and their own outlook.

I was commenting on @Beyond. That poster took @commonsense's words and elevated them to "the most important part of recovery" And it was followed by an xxlarge thumbs up.
That is a slap to me.
If it bothered me, it bothered others. Others worn down and no longer able to stand up and say, "hey, that is not true and not cool that you wrote that."

I stand by my original comment. Because it is the same mentality. I'm sick of it.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Hey beaker I wasn´t talking about attitude, My attitude is usually dreadful. Has always been lol I was refering to the fact that usually those that "heal" (normally regain functionality) from whatever chronic illness are those that never stopped looking for improvement. And is also important to believe you can improve, because techically speaking, you can.

I don´t know why it bothered you. I wasn´t implying that those that are not getting better are not trying, or anything like that. I´ve been trying to get better and failing for years, in all honesty. You will agree with me that the most important thing to overcome an obstacle is "an indomitable spirit" or whatever words you prefer.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
Hey beaker I wasn´t talking about attitude, My attitude is usually dreadful. Has always been lol I was refering to the fact that usually those that "heal" (normally regain functionality) from whatever chronic illness are those that never stopped looking for improvement. And is also important to believe you can improve, because techically speaking, you can.

I don´t know why it bothered you. I wasn´t implying that those that are not getting better are not trying, or anything like that. I´ve been trying to get better and failing for years, in all honesty. You will agree with me that the most important thing to overcome an obstacle is "an indomitable spirit" or whatever words you prefer.

It bothered me, b/c I am lying here wired tired unable to sleep trying to distract from pain that meds aren't touching after a shitty holiday with family that does not get it nor care to do so. So yes. my current attitude comes into play here.
That is spilling over . And it's making me pissed off in general. I took what was written in that context.
For the transference of that to you, I apologize.

That said,
I have known individuals who got sick, albeit in a milder form, do NOTHING but whine.
Do nothing to improve their health. Put down others who are sicker b/c if they can do xyz it's "because they have a better attitude and really want to" and obviously those who are sicker and cannot , just aren't trying or want to.
And then they go on to an almost full recovery.
So yes. It does happen to those who do not have any bit of an "indomitable spirit" nor even know what that means.
I've seen it. More than once. In other circumstances other than the specific person I was thinking of above.

I started writing more dealing w/ general philosophy of attitude and overcoming obstacles. But there is no way for me in this state to write more and make any sense.
For that same reason, I will bow out of this thread and wish you all well.

Last edited:
So you did not follow a methylation protocol, just the first step (methyl B12)?

I get only a minor difference from coconut water, vitamin C, magnesium citrate, and a clean diet. Small benefit from methyl B12. Antihistamines help a lot but only with a few symptoms like asthma. I looked at one list of top histamine foods and I don't eat those.

So you did not follow a methylation protocol, just the first step (methyl B12)?

I get only a minor difference from coconut water, vitamin C, magnesium citrate, and a clean diet. Small benefit from methyl B12. Antihistamines help a lot but only with a few symptoms like asthma. I looked at one list of top histamine foods and I don't eat those.
No I didn't follow a methylation protocol just Methyl B12 combined with B-Vitamin rich whole foods like lentils, sprouts, green leafy veggies, chicken etc.

Did you try eliminating refined-sugar, processed foods, food additives and fermented foods from your diet?

I just want all of you to remember that the elimination diet and b12 is what has made a huge difference for me. DAO supplements were just a small cog, and it probably helped me because I was on a restricted diet for so many months.

Last edited:
Did you try eliminating refined-sugar, processed foods, food additives and fermented foods from your diet?

Yes. Most people see a real benefit, I am noticing hardly any. I have hope I'll see benefits in the long run. My diet was not as good 2 and 3 months ago.

I do drink tea, but it's organic and caffeine-free. (A lot of people reacting to tea may be reacting to the additives which are hidden in many teas as "natural flavor" or pesticide residues.) I notice a small improvement from tea, compared to the weeks I skip it. I am also adding back fermented vegetables next week.

I just want all of you to remember that the elimination diet and b12 is what has made a huge difference for me. DAO supplements were just a small cog, and it probably helped me because I was on a restricted diet for so many months.

:thumbsup:

Aerose91

@xchocoholic
me too - I used to love running short distances albeit, but like you my body goes all funny even after a few strides, I can't co-ordinate, and do a sort of lurch motion.

Funny, I have the exact same thing, and I was a high level athlete and personal trainer before this. It's not a problem with my body per se, but moreso my brain can't stay coordinated

camas

So good to hear @commonsense! I've been following (for the most part) a histamine and tyramine restricted diet for about nine months and have also seen improvement. I'm doing it to try to lessen my histamine load because of leaky mast cells.

I probably couldn't run to save my life :), but my energy has improved enough to allow me to get some projects done around my garden and home. The best part for me is that it's given me an energy plateau so I can count on a certain number of good hours every day.

I've only had a handful of bad days since starting this diet and know what the triggers were -- a spider bite, and a mild cold. I also escaped my usual fall relapse. I think this may have been because I wasn't eating all the seasonal high histamine fruit I usually ingest.

I am still drinking a couple of cups a tea a day and have the occasional chocolate. I may make another attempt at giving up tea. It's hard to break a 35 year habit!

dannybex

Hi Commonsense,

A question about low-carb (and/or low sugars): How does this play into the histamine thing? I know many are on low-carb or paleo type diets, but I wonder if some of us need more carbs because our glycogen (glucose stores) may be very depleted…

And secondly: How is a DAO supplement different from traditional OTC antihistamines?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Hi Commonsense,

A question about low-carb (and/or low sugars): How does this play into the histamine thing? I know many are on low-carb or paleo type diets, but I wonder if some of us need more carbs because our glycogen (glucose stores) may be very depleted…

And secondly: How is a DAO supplement different from traditional OTC antihistamines?

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Hi Dan,

From what I have read DAO actually degrades histamines in the gut while OTC antihistamines only block the mast cell receptors. Thats my layman's explanation, since I am no doctor :) In my personal experience its just better to avoid histamine rich foods as much as you can and use DAO on a need basis.

I am not sure how low-carb/low-sugar diet helps, but in my personal experience it has made an immense difference. My low-sugar diet excludes ALL artificial and so-called natural sugar substitutes as well. Sorry couldn't be of much help there.

Last edited:
So good to hear @commonsense! I've been following (for the most part) a histamine and tyramine restricted diet for about nine months and have also seen improvement. I'm doing it to try to lessen my histamine load because of leaky mast cells.

I probably couldn't run to save my life :), but my energy has improved enough to allow me to get some projects done around my garden and home. The best part for me is that it's given me an energy plateau so I can count on a certain number of good hours every day.

I've only had a handful of bad days since starting this diet and know what the triggers were -- a spider bite, and a mild cold. I also escaped my usual fall relapse. I think this may have been because I wasn't eating all the seasonal high histamine fruit I usually ingest.

I am still drinking a couple of cups a tea a day and have the occasional chocolate. I may make another attempt at giving up tea. It's hard to break a 35 year habit!
Great to hear that camas! Wish you good luck.