• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

On antibiotics for infection - what should I expect with CFS symptoms?

PracticingAcceptance

Hey all.

I'm on a 5 day antibiotics course for a tiny little infection on my thumb nail bed. Not sure why I've got it, but the dr seemed to think it had something to do with my nail varnish.

Should I expect any effect on my CFS symptoms?

I think this is the first time I've been on antibiotics since I've had CFS.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
I've been on antibiotics a couple of times with CFS, and I've not really noticed any ill effects (or any effects whatsoever).

If you have a sensitive stomach it might be a good idea to take probiotics to repopulate your gut with good bacteria this week.

rwac

If you have a chronic infection, then you might feel better for a day or two, then feel worse and then better again. At least thats how it works for me.

What antibiotics are you taking?

rwac

@rwac what is your chronic infection and what ab do u use and in what dose? (only if i may ask, of course)

I've been on a long course now so it doesn't happen anymore. I have lyme (and other coinfections) and the effect i noticed was with a short course of clarithromycin prescribed for my sore throat long ago.

rwac

Flucloxacillin 500mg, 4 times daily, for 5 days.
Hey, just so you know fluoride containing antibiotics have some issues, especially fluoroquinolones. Can you get a different antibiotic instead?