• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

OMFScienceWednesdays-red blood cell deformability in ME/CFS

Binkie4

Will do though it won't be until May.
Heparin is an old drug that has been widely used so it is almost certain that it is used in the UK. The question will be, though, what conditions do they approve it for?

Yes. Low molecular weight Heparin is used here pre immobilisation to prevent clots, as described above, but I have never heard of it as a treatment for ME in the UK. You are prescribed it for this? Seeing ME doctor in April-could discuss it with him.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Repeating what others have said:
Wenzhong Xiao looked at gene expression and found that ME/CFS looks most similar to systemic inflammatory response syndrome [OMF community symposium September 2017]. Ben has pointed out that "Alterations in RBC deformability have been associated with inflammation and diseases like sepsis" (SIRS).

Fluge and Mella found a possible role of abnormal AMPK activation in ME/CFS (Metabolic profiling indicates impaired pyruvate dehydrogenase function in myalgic encephalopathy/chronic fatigue syndrome).
Naviaux proposed a role for ATP/purinergic receptors.
Cort has pointed out that "signaling pathway in RBC that regulates ATP release and involves Gi-proteins, cAMP activation of PKA".

However, as Alex has pointed out, we need to understand the biochemistry. Is there a signalling compound/compounds and if so what?

Also, how do you diagnose individual patients using red blood cells? On the face of you'd need a health (self) control (identical twin) or the differences would need to be very marked.

The general interest in sepsis may help to progress this research area.

From memory, Ron (and Wenzhong?) worked on sepsis; so this looks like a promising mix of experience and an interesting research area.

Ron was part of Ron Tompkins team that did a series of complex studies to try to understand sepsis. Dr. Bell was the first I think to suggest it could be a chronic form of mild sepsis years ago. Since then Armstrong's metabolomic results suggested the same thing.

http://simmaronresearch.com/2018/01/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs-chronic-form-sepsis/

FMMM1

Ron was part of Ron Tompkins team that did a series of complex studies to try to understand sepsis. Dr. Bell was the first I think to suggest it could be a chronic form of mild sepsis years ago. Since then Armstrong's metabolomic results suggested the same thing.

http://simmaronresearch.com/2018/01/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs-chronic-form-sepsis/

Thank you very much for your reply.

I'd missed the link to Chris Armstrong's metabolic work.

I'd recommend your article (link above).

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Yes. Low molecular weight Heparin is used here pre immobilisation to prevent clots, as described above, but I have never heard of it as a treatment for ME in the UK. You are prescribed it for this? Seeing ME doctor in April-could discuss it with him.
I was prescribed it after taking Dr. David Berg's ISAC coagualation panel (aimed at ME/CFS patients). So it was indirectly prescribed for ME/CFS because the panel showed hypercoagulation. I responded well to it with a boost in functionality--though of course that could be coincidental. I'll be taking another form of Heparin (Lovenox) as a bridging drug because I have to stop my regular anti-coagulant for a colonoscopy.

wastwater

I have a rare condition and have worked out I maybe missing IRF4 and GMDS I wondered if a bone marrow transplant may restore this genetic function,is that the same as stem cells
Second messenger system on wiki is worth a look as a side point

Last edited:

FMMM1

I have a rare condition and have worked out I maybe missing IRF4 and GMDS I wondered if a bone marrow transplant may restore this genetic function,is that the same as stem cells
Second messenger system on wiki is worth a look

In multiple sclerosis a recent study has shown that wiping your immune system and re-booting with stem cells (i.e.obtained from bone morrow?) works. However, they have B-cell autoimmunity (I assume). Also, in certain type of cancer the same treatment is used.

You'd need to talk to your doctor; e.g.about whether you have a comparable disease.