• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Olympic Skier beat Lyme Disease

SOC

Yes, I ran the LTT and my values were 0, 1, 0. Negative.

I am positive for Bartonella, though, by PCR.

Sushi
Did you do antibody tests, or just PCR for Bartonella? I'm negative by antibody, so I think the doc is therefore not planning a PCR test. I'm wondering if that is reasonable, or if antibody tests often miss Bartonella.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Did you do antibody tests, or just PCR for Bartonella? I'm negative by antibody, so I think the doc is therefore not planning a PCR test. I'm wondering if that is reasonable, or if antibody tests often miss Bartonella.

I did antibodies with Igenex but Ignenex only tests for antibodies on 3 strains of Bartonella (as I remember) and there are over 30 strains. I think Igenex tests mostly for the cat-scratch strains and those are not the ones being found most often in ME patients.

The PCR that that I had tests for many more strains. Galaxy Lab in NC is the Bartonella "king" (queen?) in the US I think. The PCR test I did was Redlabs.

Sushi

Hi Joshi,

Yes I'm the pyroluria one, nice to see you again!

The test was antibodies, less than 40% accurate so really pretty useless, it came back negative.

Do you have any contact details for Dr Trevisan?

Cheers
P

I was also diagnosed with Lyme and co-infections in the summer of 2012, but I was suspecting something is going on for a much longer time. I just went through a horrible time lately, it's slowly getting better with treatment.

This is such a complicated disease, the co-infections are the hardest to treat (test are unreliable too) so it's hard even for doctors to treat it properly due to unreliable testing. Often co-infections are missed.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
She just skied today. It was just on NBC's rebroadcast. They mentioned that she had beat Lyme and that it was a triumph that she was competing. Unfortunately she fell, but she competed.

Sushi

T
She just skied today. It was just on NBC's rebroadcast. They mentioned that she had beat Lyme and that it was a triumph that she was competing. Unfortunately she fell, but she competed.

Sushi
Thanks for sharing Sushi. I just watched it and my eyes watered up several times. Skiing was the sport that I was best at and loved the most. It was encouraging to see that even though it may take years of treatment, it is possible to recover. :)