• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oleamide for sleep

Mary

Moderator Resource
Has anyone had experience with Oleamide? I'm thinking of trying this protocol:

https://www.grc.com/health/sleep/healthy_sleep_formula.htm

but I know nothing of Oleamide. I had never even heard of it. Anyone know anything?

I've never heard of oleamide either. However, I clicked on the grc link you provided and I am familiar with using niacinamide and melatonin for sleep, which are part of their protocol.

In the last several months I had severe sleep problems due to a lorazepam taper (from 1 mg. to 0.5 mg.) And finally after a lot of experimentation, I came up with a protocol which worked pretty well. It's a lot of stuff, but I didn't want to take any more drugs. I briefly tried trazodone and it made me very tired and fuzzy, even at quite small doses.

So this is what I came up with for sleep. I don't recommend someone take all of this to begin with, it's quite a bit, but perhaps smaller of doses of everything until you see what works (or doesn't):

an hour before bed:

150 mg. 5-htp
2000 mg. glycine
500 mg. niacinamide or 1000 mg. niacin
200 mg. l-theanine
3 mg. melatonin (Natrol sublingual)
500 mg. inositol

In the middle of the night, repeat everything except no more 5-htp

5-htp helps produce serotonin so in general should not be combined with an SSRI.

Niacinamide is supposed to be more effective at stimulating GABA receptors than plain niacin; however, niacin seems to work better for me. At my worst, I took both niacin and niacinamide, but am trying to just use niacin now. If you take niacin, the plain kind that makes you flush is best. Extended or time-release niacin has been linked to liver damage.

If you do try oleamide, let us know how it goes.

helen1

@SwanRonson
I bought some oleamide a few months ago from Liftmode. It's derived from olive oil and works on the same receptors as cannibidiols. I found it helped with sleep for the first few weeks then the effect ended. I've stopped using it mostly. I had no bad side effects though.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Does the same thing apply to Niacinamide?

I don't know. A brief search turned up lots of hits for time-release niacin and liver damage, but not niacinamide. In general I avoid time-release any kind of supplement. I read once years ago they're just generally not a good way to go, but I can't give you the reasoning.

rebar

I tried it , didn't work for me. Didn't notice any effect. Tried all of Mary's list no go for me. I'm now on L-tryptophan, about 2g, and when I wake at 12 to 1 or so I take half of a 10mg ambien. I get 5 to 6 hour a night, usually closer to 5. It's been a particularly difficult problem for me, for over a year, 3 hours a night for 4 or 5 months straight. I took seroquil for years and it worked like a charm but stopped because of it's anticholinergic effect and my fear of it contributing to memory issues. Although I'm not crazy about taking ambien, I've not yet found a substitute. I too continue to search and try things.

rebar

Also as Helen mentioned the Liftmode site, good products and information.