• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Obamacare's Silent Constituency

Ember

By Llewellyn King
Published July 1, 2012 – 8:55 pm
http://www.whchronicle.com/2012/07/obamacares-silent-constituency/
In the end, as so often, it all came down to one person. In this case Chief Justice John Roberts. He sided with the liberals enough to save the basic provisions of the Affordable Care Act.

In the tumult the wailing and the sighing, the gentlest of gentle sighs, inaudible to all but those who know, comes from the permanently sick, just-alive people who suffer from the immune system disease known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis in much of the world. This is a disease little understood and under-researched, which it is believed afflicts 1 million Americans.

It is a disease that has no mercy. It is almost without exception a life sentence, robbing the victim of normalcy. Its symptoms include total collapse after exertion, especially after exercise; sleep that does not refresh; periods of months or years of being bedridden with pain from bones “that feel as though they are exploding,” according one victim, Lynda Haight; and a mental fog that makes the simplest task, like paying bills, too difficult many days. Other symptoms include extreme sensitivity to light, noise and normal city and suburban noise.

To this community of the lost, this cohort of hopelessness, Obamacare is a blessing; a small blessing but one that may grow in time when a cure is found, or at least when a therapy which relieves the suffering is developed.

These are the very people — sick, voiceless and hidden in in plain view – who have been shunned by insurance companies....

*GG*

Obamacare is a blessing? (Statists and liberals think the gov't is the answer for practically every question. (I have been putting my money where my mouth is for a few years, I am not waiting for the gov't to fund the research and other worthy causes.) I don't think so, I guess I am a radical and the gov't will probably try to shut me up soon. Time will tell.) I think that it's a little to premature to say such a thing. Yes it gives sufferers coverage, now?

Who is going to develop this "therapy which relieves the suffering"? The gov't? Not going to hold my breath on that one. Ask/read Hilary Johnson book for historical context, and the hundreds and thousands who have died waiting for a treatment, and people who have been suffering for decades. Our inept gov't agencies have probably only slowed down any progress for treatments, never mind cures!

Why would the pharmaceutical companies want a cure? How would they profit after that?

GG

PS Yes, insurance companies need to make a profit, to stay in business, not like our lovely Federal Gov't which can just keep flushing money down the toilet and racking up our credit cards. What will be the end product of all the deficit spending of the last 20 to 30 years? How is this sustainable? Everyone eventually needs to pay the piper, at least in the real world.

liquid sky

I agree with Llewellyn King. Our community, in general, will benefit from healthcare reform.

I agree too. At least the insurance companies cannot deny you coverage with a pre-existing condition or throw you out when you get sick and they decide to limit your coverage.

Non-profit insurance is not bad. They make enough money to pay the costs of care, pay the workers, etc. They do not need to profit off of others misfortune. There are countries with universal healthcare that is non-profit and they have better healthcare outcomes for less money.

Valentijn

I also think Obamacare is beneficial for ME patients. There is no cure that we're going to get any time soon, BUT people could at least get symptoms dealt with, including the rather disabling Orthostatic Intolerance. And when there is treatment for ME specifically, we'll have access to it.