• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NYPD officer's kindness sparks online sensation

Jarod

NEW YORK (AP) — A tourist's snapshot of a New York City police officer giving new boots to a barefoot homeless man in Times Square has created an online sensation.
Jennifer Foster, a tourist from Florence, Ariz., took a cellphone picture of Officer Larry DePrimo giving the man the all-weather boots and socks on a frigid night in Times Square on Nov. 14.
The image was posted on the NYPD's Facebook page and became an instant hit. More than 325,000 users "liked" his generosity as of Thursday morning.
DePrimo tells Newsday the homeless man "smiled from ear to ear. It was like you gave him a million dollars."
He tells The New York Times he keeps the receipt for the boots in his vest to remind him "that sometimes people have it worse."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ers-kindness-sparks-online-sensation/1734495/#

cop giving boots.jpg

justinreilly

That was great. I am a NYC native and NYPD cops have always impressed me. they are generally helpful and professional without hassling people. hats off to good cops everywhere!

Hopefully the cop can also get him some jeans as those Capri pants are out of season : )

taniaaust1

There was more news on this guy today. Apparently he's barefoot again as he's scared to wear the new $100 shoes on the streets as he's scared another homeless person is going to attack him for could kill him for them (obviously he's been threatened). So he's now got them stashed away somewhere safe so they arent stolen from him. (I guess a $100 pair of shoes would be like wearing a gold watch while living on the streets).

I guess this whole story shows that it can be very hard to percieve others true situations and what is best for another without really talking to them first.

But yeah.. I loved the story of how the cop tried to help this guy.