• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NY-Times Opinion Pages Letters re Rehmeyer article

meadowlark

I used to be an editor, and it's customary to print at least one letter with a different point of view than the others (which reflect the majority opinion). I'm sure that's why they printed Theodore Spielberg--who believes we may suffer from "major depression"--among the other, more enlightened comments.

oceiv

Good find, @Aurator This is the fourth article about ME/CFS from the NYT in about one month. The previous three being: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Gets a New Name, The Reality of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Study on Chronic Fatigue May Help With Diagnoses. This 'letters to the editor' article combined responses to both Rehmeyer's article and the first David Tuller article, which means NYT is noticing the high traffic from articles on our disease.

We should definitely reward them by giving them traffic on this 'letters to the editor' article. As well as sharing this article on social media and through email.

I like their choices on the 4 pro-ME/CFS letters: a retired doctor, a medical student an advocacy org and a male patient. They also picked letters with an emphasis on the dire lack of funding for this disease and how we desperately need more governmental funding. Since they have to include an opposing view, I'd say this article is mostly a win for us

Here's a post with more info about NYT's Letters to the Editor.

Last edited: