• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NY Times, How 74 year-old Harold Bloom, Writer and ME person, spends his Sundays

Countrygirl

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/05/...former-publicist-spends-his-sundays.html?_r=0

How Howard Bloom, Writer and Former Publicist, Spends His Sundays
Sunday Routine

By JOHN LELAND JAN. 5, 2018

Continue reading the main storyShare This Page
  • chronic fatigue syndrome so severe that he barely got out of bed. “And for five of those years I was too weak to speak and too weak to have another person in the room with me,” Mr. Bloom, now 74, said. Nonetheless, he managed to write three science-related books during those years, and recently published his seventh, “How I Accidentally Started the Sixties,” a memoir of chemical and spiritual experimentation that begins in 1962. Mr. Bloom lives in Park Slope, Brooklyn, where he runs several online discussion groups.

SLEEP SOLUTION When I was fighting chronic fatigue syndrome, one of the first symptoms was insomnia. Eventually it occurred to me that my body was trying to tell me something. It didn’t want to sleep the normal routine eight hours. So I broke the eight hours into two four-hour shifts, and started to do one of the four-hour shifts from 11 o’clock in the morning to 3 o’clock in the afternoon, and the other one from 4 o’clock in the morning until 8 o’clock in the morning. And it was one of those tiny incremental things that helped me get out of the bedroom.

TAKE IT EASY Sunday is a day I don’t force myself to do any exercises, any push-ups, or take a bath, because I’m taking it easy.