• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NutraHacker - accurate?

ebethc

Has anyone found problems in NutraHacker results? I cross-referenced my nutrahacker (paid) report and found over a dozen discrepancies with Sterling's App & Genetic Genie results... (BTW - Sterlings App & GG both matched results). Bummer.... Hoping its just a temporary bug that the programmer can fix.

thanks.

Sea

NutraHacker seems to have cut and paste information from various sources - not necessarily reliable ones, rather than having done any real study. Once I found a few errors I didn't bother going any further.

Valentijn

I had problems with Nutrahacker plagiarizing posts which I had made on this forum. They removed them from their free report when a forum moderator demanded it.

But even aside from that, they have zero understanding of what they are doing and are just dumping information that they find from various dodgy sources.

Though I wouldn't consider GG results particularly trustworthy either. Nothing to do with the site itself, but they're showing the Yasko interpretations, and the Yasko interpretations are frequently wrong or irrelevant to gene function.

Gingergrrl

My husband just did Nutrahacker for his own 23andMe report today and loved it and felt I should do it too. He does not have CFS but is pre-diabetic, metabolic syndrome, has sleep apnea and some other issues and tries to follow Paleo diet and takes lots of supplements. He just bought or switched to everything recommended by Nutrahacker. Is this bad?!!! :nervous: :sluggish:

Sea

@ebethc and @Gingergrrl It's ok to look at these reports and read what is recommended but I would strongly encourage you to learn how to browse your raw data and read the research for yourselves. It is overwhelming at first but you soon realise how valuable it is to not blindly follow those who really are not experts in genetics and make many mistaken assumptions.

Gingergrrl

@ebethc and @Gingergrrl It's ok to look at these reports and read what is recommended but I would strongly encourage you to learn how to browse your raw data and read the research for yourselves. It is overwhelming at first but you soon realise how valuable it is to not blindly follow those who really are not experts in genetics and make many mistaken assumptions.

@Sea, which websites do you recommend as the most accurate for browsing and learning about our own SNP's? I do not know enough to know which are the solid ones from the amateurs.

Sea

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/SNP/
On this page you can type in your snp by rs number. There are links you can follow to research about particular snps. There are links to Pubmed, Omim and more. You can also get directly to dbSNP from your 23andme browse raw data page. On the left of the row of snps is a little + which is a drop down menu with links to dbsnp, google scholar etc

http://omim.org
Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man®
An Online Catalog of Human Genes and Genetic Disorders