• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NPR: 'Quackery' Chronicles How Our Love Of Miracle Cures Leads Us Astray

Dolphin

'Quackery' Chronicles How Our Love Of Miracle Cures Leads Us Astray

Dr. Lydia Kang, an author and a primary care physician in Omaha, Neb., is the co-author of Quackery: A Brief History Of The Worst Ways To Cure Everything, which publishes Oct. 17.She talked to us recently about her new book, the gross things people have done through the centuries in search of health, and what it means for modern medicine.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...how-our-love-of-miracle-cures-leads-us-astray

barbc56

Looks interesting.

I was hoping the book would delve into why people choose quackery today when our knowledge of science and physiology is much more sophisticated. But that’s a different subject.

I have put this on the waiting list at my library for when it becomes available. It’s a long list!

Thanks!

Jeckylberry

Both look very interesting! I've read similar books on that subject. I distinctly remember the smoke bellows one and one recommending brushing inside the nose daily. Some of our cures are still in the dark ages. Short of dunking some poor soul in hot and then cold water they are still torturing the ones they can't fix.