• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Novel characterisation of mast cell phenotypes from peripheral blood mononuclear cells in ME/CFS

paolo

Thx @paolo Great image on your blog.

Thanks, I made that picture (it is a handmade drawing) with the purpose of representing the main aspects of Lyme disease, at a glance. You can see the tick (a female Ixodes ricinus, the main vector here in Europe), Borrelia burgdorferi in mitosis and an IgG, which stands for all the possible imunological sequelae driven by the infection.

Attachments

• colore 10.jpeg
    colore 10.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

ahmo

This article alerted me to the possibility that what I recently labelled as POTS-lite might have a mast cell component. I'd stopped using mast cell stabilizers royal jelly and mangosteen about a year earlier, as I no longer had obvious symptoms. When I resumed them, my POTS symptom , mainly flushing and light-headedness, dropped.

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
No, I didn't know about this study. I'm reading.

By the way, I've wrote this post about a possible link between post-exertional malaise and mast cells mediators release.

Very interesting. I had 3 (maybe 4) experiences that could be exercise-induced anaphylaxis: about 5 minutes after finishing a triathlon, my tongue and throat would swell up for about 10 minutes. I've done over a 100 triathlons, so it was an infrequent, but disturbing, experience.

But I don't get any tongue swelling now with my ME symptoms.

Gingergrrl

This is potentially very exciting.@Gingergrrl , @justy, @Strawberry -- other mast cell people--this is an attempt to draw a connection between mast cell problems and ME.

@Vasha thanks for tagging me and for your PM and I just discovered this thread now. I am so glad that researchers are trying to see if there is a connection between ME/CFS and MCAS (or if it is a sub-type?) or if it is just a separate disease?

I'm not sure if I've read any mast cell theories in relation to ME, or if I've read any substantial ME research involving mast cells.

My ME/CFS doctor is finding some degree of MCAS in the vast majority of his patients and as far as I know, he tests everyone for mast cell mediators (but I could be wrong on this.)

-If mast cell dysfunction turns out to be a feature of the disease (maybe in a subset, maybe more), then we'd have something that is testable, that can and should be tested for in all patients, and that . . . -can be TREATED. Like so many things we deal with, treatment is trial and error, and imperfect, but it is treatable. Treating MCAS has made a big difference in my quality of life, and it would be great if that were true for others!

We would definitely have something testable with methyl-histamine, prostaglandins, etc, and then we'd have something treatable but we'd still be light-years away from a cure. I agree that the MCAS treatments (even when I have horrific flare-ups) are the only thing that consistently have helped me. Anti-virals did nothing for me and without the MCAS meds, I am certain that I would no longer even be alive. They allow me to eat food without anaphylaxis even when other aspects of my illness remain unchanged.

Thanks fr tagging me in @Vasha - this is my dilemma currently. I have MCAS, Lyme, EDS and M.E - my M.E dr says MCAS is because of Lyme (known through research to cause mast cell degranulation). EDS is also more common in people with MCAD'S.

Afrin believes MCAS is always a primary dx - in his book he says he doesn't go along with the view that it is secondary. My Lyme dx is clinical. Do I reall have Lyme or ME? or do I have primary MCAS? with no Dr in the UK capable of dx and treating as per Afrin then their is no hope to ever find out.

Justy, I have the same dilemma and honestly have no idea if MCAS is primary or secondary. My MCAS doc said that (in general) mastocytosis is a primary diagnosis but MCAS is secondary to something else. But in my case, I have clearly had subclinical MCAS my entire life when I look back on my symptoms (even when I was healthy and working full-time and living a normal life.) I also have POTS which is co-morbid with MCAS in a high percentage of cases although I do not have EDS. My MCAS doc even said it is possible that the phrenic nerve neuropathy that showed up on my EMG is due to MCAS/autoantibodies. This is why I am so eager to try autoimmune treatments and see if they improve my breathing, allergic reactions, and dysautonomia.

For treatment purposes, I've mostly given up on trying to figure out what's "primary" and what's "secondary" because I think it's going to be a long time before we know (and it may vary a lot by patient).

Agreed and I no longer believe I will ever know the official "title" of my illness beyond MCAS and POTS. My ME/CFS doctor is fairly certain I have ME/CFS, or a very similar illness, b/c of all my IgM+ viral titers and very low NK cell functioning (so if these some day become the biomarker, then I have the disease) but I do not meet other aspects of it so it remains confusing.

I am surprised more people on this forum aren't interested in Mast cell issues - they are quite common it seems in PWME, people with untreated Lyme, people with EDS - there is quite an overlap. Having hung around on masto/MCAD sites for a while now I am struck at how similar some of their symptoms and issues are to people with M.E - including severe ME. They have patients who are bedbound and cant do any exercise etc. I don't feel at all out of place there.

Me, too, and I think we belong to some of the same Masto boards and when I read them, I fit in 100% and have never felt out of place. Everyone there reacts to food, mold, VOC's and all of the same triggers as me.

Her hypotesis is that histamine may be one possible root cause for orthostatic intollerance in CFS, I've read.

That is interesting and would not surprise me.

I had 3 (maybe 4) experiences that could be exercise-induced anaphylaxis: about 5 minutes after finishing a triathlon, my tongue and throat would swell up for about 10 minutes.

Scott, what did you do to reverse the tongue and throat swelling or did it just go away on it's own? Back when I could exercise (over four years ago at this point and never to the level that you were at!) I would often get episodes of exercise induced asthma or prolonged tachycardia. But the majority of the time I could exercise with no issues and never had exercise induced anaphylaxis. (And I do not have asthma, this has been ruled out 100%, and have restrictive pulmonary functioning due to neuromuscular cause that remains a mystery.)

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
Scott, what did you do to reverse the tongue and throat swelling or did it just go away on it's own?

It would just go away on its own. After the first episode, whenever I felt my throat tightening up, I'd meander over to the paramedics that are at all races and hang out with them until it passed.

Gingergrrl

It would just go away on its own. After the first episode, whenever I felt my throat tightening up, I'd meander over to the paramedics that are at all races and hang out with them until it passed.

Did it ever happen in response to eating food, food dyes or contrast dyes, or strong smells/odors? Or only with exercise?

ETA: Also, were you running in the sun or did it occur with exercise indoors, too?

natasa778

This article alerted me to the possibility that what I recently labelled as POTS-lite might have a mast cell component. I'd stopped using mast cell stabilizers royal jelly and mangosteen about a year earlier, as I no longer had obvious symptoms. When I resumed them, my POTS symptom , mainly flushing and light-headedness, dropped.

See what I just posted above ... interesting that verapamil is often effective for POTS, it could be linked to its mast cell inhibition effects.

Any thoughts or experience with this @Sushi ?

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

I'm hearing personal reports from MCAS suffererers (not ME) who are having success with verapamil, ca channel blocker, as a mast cell stabiliser. It is used in addition to anthistamines etc

I haven't tried it ,and actually wish that I could b/c I have POTS and MCAS, but have been told by multiple doctors that for now I should not take any meds that are calcium channel blockers due to an auto-antibody that I have that already blocks the calcium channel. I did have a horrible reaction to another CCB (diltiazem) two years ago but it is hard to say how I would react to verapamil. But for now am listening to my doctors (and agree with them) and will be starting treatment very soon to try to reduce the auto-antibody and don't want to do anything that could mess with it or make me worse. But am curious if other mast cell peeps try verapamil, how it goes for them!

CFS_Kristin

I'm glad to see this. I hope someone does a study looking for Mast cell mediators as well ( methyl-histamine, prostaglandin, leukotrienes etc).

I don't know if Mast cell activation is "the" answer, ( or a subset, or represents people with Primary MCAD or mastocytosis who have been misdiagnosed ) but I know anecdotally that mast-cell treatments have been more effective for me than anything else.

Hi Kyla, What mast cell treatments are working best for you?

CFS_Kristin

I haven't tried it ,and actually wish that I could b/c I have POTS and MCAS, but have been told by multiple doctors that for now I should not take any meds that are calcium channel blockers due to an auto-antibody that I have that already blocks the calcium channel. I did have a horrible reaction to another CCB (diltiazem) two years ago but it is hard to say how I would react to verapamil. But for now am listening to my doctors (and agree with them) and will be starting treatment very soon to try to reduce the auto-antibody and don't want to do anything that could mess with it or make me worse. But am curious if other mast cell peeps try verapamil, how it goes for them!

What are you currently taking for MCAS?