• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Not just a women's disease

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
It's very easy for ignorant fools in the media and science media and psychological research and health agencies to blame CFS on females, when they aren't aware that autoimmunity affects more women or that certain pathogens can be transferred by females and not males, thus affecting more women with disease processes.

Teaching stupid people is hard, harder if they are members of the medical profession who have based their 'theories' on lying about those with CFS as inferior people, including inferior being based on being a woman.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that organic CFS ME is associated with the female reproductive system that favors certain pathogens that leads to autoimmunity. For the media embedded cretin and state sponsored liar, it's easier to make jokes about CFS being a white woman's disease, or a middle class woman's disease.

Ecoclimber

Since 25-30% of CFS ME patients are men, This why I believe any and all research conducted which focuses solely on the biological, physiological, psychological processes of women that excludes men an act of legal discrimination based on gender under the due process clause of the 14th amendment. Therefore I believe that there is sufficient legal justification that gives rise for a class action lawsuit to remove this disease that has languished over the past two decades within the Office of Research on Women’s Health. Just the other day, researchers in MS found Herv-W / MSRV in MS pathogenesis, identifying a genetic marker on chromosome X that could be one of the causes underlying the gender differences in MS. Could there be a similar genetic marker for ME/CFS?

Last edited:

Kati

Patient in training
I agree with this, but there is a caveat being looked at right now - males with ME present differently to females with ME. Fletcher is wanting a study on this and trying to recruit males, so she can spot biochemical differences etc. This is probably not about the disease though, just how it expresses differently.
i believe Dr Fletcher got funding to research Gulf War Illness and wanted to compare GWI pts to ME pts. Now most of the GWI pts are men, so it makes sense to compare them to male pts with ME.

i also believe they found different gene/cytokine pathways between men and women.