• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

not being impulsive with supplements

outdamnspot

Hi,

Maybe an obvious question, but I was wondering if anyone here has any tips for not being too impulsive with supplement changes etc.?

I keep a daily journal, which helps things, but I suppose the biggest thing driving my impulsiveness is anxiety -- I have a lot of anxiety, insomnia and environmental stress (noisy household). Unfortunately, the only thing that gets me to sleep is Doxylamine, which causes a lot of next-day irritability and can also confuse things further. Sometimes the desperation for relief can cause me to become far too impatient about making changes, even though I realize it's counterproductive.

Right now, I have some Lithium Orotate, Inositol and Quercetin I would like to experiment with -- and I also plan to order some N-acetylglucosamine as soon as I can, based on Hip's experience. Since anxiety and insomnia are the most prominent issues, I figured I would start with the Inositol. I already take 5mg of Lithium Orotate at night, but don't notice very much from it.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Another 5 mg of lithium orotate in the morning might decrease your irritability.

I suggest that you next investigate sleep aids and find some thing(s) to replace the doxylanime. Many people do best with low doses of several sleep aids rather than a standard dose of one thing.

outdamnspot

Thanks. I'll try the extra Lithium Orotate dose, though I think it increase my fatigue.

Unfortunately, no sleep aids really work -- GABAergics and Z-aids are out (paradoxical reaction and rebound anxiety, respectively). Anti-histamines work for 3 days, then I grow tolerant. Melatonin makes me insanely depressed.

Inositol seems to assist sleep in those who otherwise benefit from it, so hopefully it might help.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
outdamnspot
I find I can take the same a/histamines every 3 or 4 days so maybe if you find a few that work for you and alternate them - I have 2 different ones so getting about 4/5 nights better sleep each week now and feeling a little better than I was.

I just need to find 2 more!!

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Most people find lithium orotate calming rather than sedating, although that does not mean you will. If you do find a morning dose fatiguing, you might ask your doctor if you could take a dose at suppertime and a dose at bedtime.

I have over 50 sleep aids listed in my sleep document. I list them by category and some are listed more than once, so I cannot easily get an exact count.

Since you have trouble with sleep drugs and supplements, try other approaches such as blue-blocking sunglasses, f.lux for computer screen, appropriate bedtime snack, sleep mask, ear plugs, and/or sleep inducing CD (or just relaxing music that appeals to you).

You cold try herbal teas that are sleep aids. If one did not help, but did not cause problems, you could try the herbs in pill form.

If you search this forum, you will find a LOT of information on sleep. It is a big issue for a lot of us.