• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nose Bleeds

Phred

Does anyone get these? I've been on Fred's protocol for some time now and much has improved. I have new symptom of nose bleeds now though.

I will say that I had a blood disease as a teen called ITP. It boils down to low platelets. I had a splenectomy and have been fine since. I had my platelets checked a couple of months ago and they are in the 400k range. No problems there.

I just had another nose bleed. They don't last too long but I am blowing out huge clots like I did when I was a kid. With this last nose bleed my ear is now plugged up.

Any ideas? As always everyone's wisdom and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Ambrosia_angel

Were u having nose bleeds around the time of the tests? Blood results can fluctuate so quickly so if you weren't getting bleeds around the time of the test then it might not be accurate.

Good luck.

Violeta

I have a history of nosebleeds, too, most recently in April when I came down with what seemed like allergies and a cold. My symptoms were the same as what you're describing. I was looking into histamines because of it, and found that when mast cells degranulate, which can be a huge source of histamines, heparin is given off, too. And heparin thins out the blood.

This possibly could tie in to your methylation protocol because a number of people back in March, I think, were having histamine issues from either folate or B12 or the combination.

After further research I realized that my mast cell or histamine issues were related to Lyme and possible coinfections.

I was sick for a whole month with a lot of symptoms, and everything is a big blur, so at the moment I can't remember exactly what I did for the nosebleeds, but to deal with the overall situation, maybe still not the root cause, I started to deal with Lyme.

Phred

@Ambrosia_angel yes I had the blood test shortly after a nose bleed. My platelets are always above 400k. When I had the ITP I couldn't keep my platelets in the teens and took large doses of prednisone..

@Violeta you are a genius! Yes my histamines are elevated right now. I was just commenting on that to my family. I didn't realize heparin is released. I really need to start focussing my attention on mast cells.

Thank you both for the replies.

TheChosenOne

I sometimes have nose bleeds when I forget to take my antihistamines/steroids. Maybe there is a connection here.

Violeta

@Ambrosia_angel yes I had the blood test shortly after a nose bleed. My platelets are always above 400k. When I had the ITP I couldn't keep my platelets in the teens and took large doses of prednisone..

@Violeta you are a genius! Yes my histamines are elevated right now. I was just commenting on that to my family. I didn't realize heparin is released. I really need to start focussing my attention on mast cells.

Thank you both for the replies.

@Phred
I haven't had nosebleeds for a long time, nor the very bad chest cold and sore throat. I was trying to figure out why; what is going on? My friend had a bad sinus infection, the kind that's helped by the exedrin with an antihistamine. It just dawned on me that here in PA mold had been very high for some time now, and I think mold can contribute to mast cell issues, too. At least from the very short amount of time that I've had to look into it. Are you in a region that might have high mold right now?

Not that I know what to do about mold.

Phred

@Violeta
I'm not too far from you (comparatively speaking). I'm in south western Ontario. I don't know if there is mould here or not. I do, however, get shots for mould. I get shots for mould, ragweed, trees and grasses.

I think you're really onto something with the heparin theory though. I also think I need to remove a new allergen; a cat we got a few months ago. I've had cats for 25 years (many different cats over those years) and never a problem. This one, not so much.