• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Norwegian professor in biology supportive of PACE

Justin30

Is this Dr Serious "Activism" ie:

the policy or action of using vigorous campaigning to bring about political or social change.

Maybe Dr Gundersen you should physically exam a severe ME patient and then draw a conclusion instead of just juming on the PACE "Marry go Round" that is destroying millions of lives world wide.....

Oh but you were to busy writing BS articles instead of reading the IOM report...

Justin30

How does this even happen in Norway?

The worlds 2nd biggest ME clinical trial is underway giving peoples lives back and this "joke" is running around stirring the

I could only imagine if our community wasnt so sick...the sad truth is they are not able to see us in person and how sick we are...these individuals only get riduculed through tweets and social media on false beliefs that we are sick in the head....its a sad truth that we are treated in disbelief by Drs everywhere...

The last time I checked arent Dr suppose to try and help solve problems and get us better?

Last edited:

deleder2k

This is turning bizarre:

cGNvdGMw.jpeg

Justin30

This is turning bizarre:

cGNvdGMw.jpeg

Thank you Tuller.....for stating the facts throw something in about the IOM Report....as we used to say in my line of work "Rake him over the Coals" ......its a little extreme but this Dr is getting into an area that he should stay well away from unless he is willing to contribute to biological research as per what he is a professor in....

Deepwater

I also think it is unlikely to be coincidence that Prof Gundersen came up with this article just after Trudie Chalder's visit to the country. Perhaps he had already been softened up by the Wessely school, but perhaps Chalder met him and charmed him so in he leapt to her defence.....
Pure speculation, of course (rather like the idea that people's minds sometimes deliberately make them blind because they don't want to see - causality not proven, surely; sounds like as certain chapter from that silly book by Simon Wessely's mate Suzanne O'Sullivan).
Trouble is, when people find they have dug themselves into a hole their instinct is just to dig still harder and faster in the hope of eventually coming out into the Australian sunshine. Never mind that hell fires lie in between. Gundersen's article was so vitriolic that it's going to be psychologically difficult for him to face the fact - still less admit publicly - that it was wholly wrong and unjustified. Yes, the Professor must have faulty psychology.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
At some point this continued ME patient shaming needs to be defined as a hate-crime. How much more of this do we have to put up with from these willfully ignorant deluded stubborn idiots? I'm not on twitter, but is there a hashtag that could be used to call out ignorant ME patient shaming tweets?

Kalliope

I also think it is unlikely to be coincidence that Prof Gundersen came up with this article just after Trudie Chalder's visit to the country. Perhaps he had already been softened up by the Wessely school, but perhaps Chalder met him and charmed him so in he leapt to her defence.....
Pure speculation, of course (rather like the idea that people's minds sometimes deliberately make them blind because they don't want to see - causality not proven, surely; sounds like as certain chapter from that silly book by Simon Wessely's mate Suzanne O'Sullivan).
Trouble is, when people find they have dug themselves into a hole their instinct is just to dig still harder and faster in the hope of eventually coming out into the Australian sunshine. Never mind that hell fires lie in between. Gundersen's article was so vitriolic that it's going to be psychologically difficult for him to face the fact - still less admit publicly - that it was wholly wrong and unjustified. Yes, the Professor must have faulty psychology.
I think it might have more to do with The Norwegian Research Council having recently asked ME-patients what kind of research the patients themselves would prefer getting funded.

No power has ever been given, there was always a fight first. More power to patients means less power to professors. I wonder if it is that simple..

Amaya2014

At some point this continued ME patient shaming needs to be defined as a hate-crime. How much more of this do we have to put up with from these willfully ignorant deluded stubborn idiots? I'm not on twitter, but is there a hashtag that could be used to call out ignorant ME patient shaming tweets?
I'm not a tweeter but #Ignoranceisbliss comes to mind

SilverbladeTE

Regarding Gundersen's position about "activism against PACE":

So,people in the 1920s and 30s shouldn't have come out and publicly criticized the "research" that allegedly
"proved Eugenics was real and valid strategy"
and thus we should have sterilized and executed all the social undesirables, the mental feeble minds, the congenital criminals, the sub-human races....hm?

I think not.

Sean

No power has ever been given, there was always a fight first.
They will not give it up willingly. It has to be taken.

They are wrong, and are causing great harm, for no good reason.

They must be stopped, with all legal, intellectual, and moral means at our disposal.

We have no choice but to oppose and disempower them.

And we have every right to do so.

Woolie

I find it strange that there is a very consistent story with all these articles. It always looks like they have the same underlying story which is clearly told to the authors. What I find surprising is that the authors who claim to be authorities don't do any basic checking of the correctness of what they are saying. They misrepresent the reasons for requests for PACE data and patients opposition. They miss the independent scientists have raised concerns.

This is perhaps a symptom showing that science is broken or not very self correcting.
Or perhaps this suspicious similarity in their arguments points towards “a fairly small, but highly organised, very vocal and very damaging group of individuals who have…hijacked this agenda and distorted the debate so that it actually harms the overwhelming majority of patients

Woolie

I see this guy Gundersen has sent more than 3500 tweets. He's got quite a few followers, but for all that, has accrued the grand total of 48 likes.

I'm wondering whether that suggests perhaps he's not as influential as might appear? Perhaps one of these close-to-retirement figures that hasn't got much to say any more but likes to be in the limelight by making bold claims?

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Or perhaps this suspicious similarity in their arguments points towards “a fairly small, but highly organised, very vocal and very damaging group of individuals who have…hijacked this agenda and distorted the debate so that it actually harms the overwhelming majority of patients

Yes, that was a very neatly crafted phrase - whoever thought of it first!