• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Norwegian prime minister concerned about young ME-patients

Kalliope

Those types of doctors would never refer to it as a "disease". Disease = real & biological. Illness/disorder/syndrome/condition = debatable.

It's basically the litmus test for quacks :p
I'm afraid it doesn't necessarily work in Norwegian. "Sykdom" (as in disease), can also mean ailment. Apologies for sloppy translation.

Jo Best

Invest in ME Research said in their Facebook group that they have invited PM Erna Solberg to their 2017 international conference in London (#IIMEC12) and that Norwegian advocate Kjersti Krisner has used at least 30 copies of the 2016 conference DVD to educate many different people and organisations in Norway about ME. Kjersti's pre-conference dinner presentation is on the IIMEC11 DVD - http://www.investinme.eu/IIMEC11.shtml#dvd

Kalliope

Yesterday the Norwegian prime minister published a blog post on ME: "These patients deserve to be taken seriously".

She says ME is a tough illness. Researchers know little about long term fatigue conditions. People with these conditions must be taken seriously.

She has worked for increased knowledge, allocated funds in order to develop better care, asked the Research Council to support research on ME and supported the RituxME-trial.

She also mentions the upcoming Invest in ME-conference in June.

The government will prioritise:
- national and international research
- interaction regarding care
- easier access for financial support for families caring for children with severe ME

Pretty cool to have a prime minister blogging about ME. I think that's a first.. :balloons:

Grigor

Yesterday the Norwegian prime minister published a blog post on ME: "These patients deserve to be taken seriously".

She says ME is a tough illness. Researchers know little about long term fatigue conditions. People with these conditions must be taken seriously.

She has worked for increased knowledge, allocated funds in order to develop better care, asked the Research Council to support research on ME and supported the RituxME-trial.

- easier access for financial support for families caring for children with severe ME

Pretty cool to have a prime minister blogging about ME. I think that's a first.. :balloons:
Can I use your text and share it on my Facebook page??

And secondly. How do people share a translated page. So it shows the English version. Can't figure out how to do that.

Kalliope

Can I use your text and share it on my Facebook page??

And secondly. How do people share a translated page. So it shows the English version. Can't figure out how to do that.
Yes, you may share it.
When it comes to your second question - I haven't figured that one out myself.. But I am sure there a lots of people here who can help :)

AndyPR

Google translate version into English - https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https://erna.no/2017/02/09/disse-pasientene-fortjener-a-bli-tatt-pa-alvor/&edit-text=

ETA: short url version of the above - http://bit.ly/2lraHio

A.B.

Good news, but is there any danger that the psychobabble brigade will hijack the increased funding?

Do we know where she is getting her information?

Kalliope

The prime minister shared her blogpost about ME on Facebook, and in the discussion thread, even the minister of health, Bent Høie, participated. :thumbsup::woot:

This is his comment translated to English:

.. I think it is important to acknowledge that there are some patients who on the whole experience larger problems in meeting with the health service. ME-patients are clearly among these, and often their meeting with the health service can become an additional strain in a difficult situation. It is therefore incredibly important that we initiate more effort to improve their care.

Solstice

The prime minister shared her blogpost about ME on Facebook, and in the discussion thread, even the minister of health, Bent Høie, participated. :thumbsup::woot:

This is his comment translated to English:

.. I think it is important to acknowledge that there are some patients who on the whole experience larger problems in meeting with the health service. ME-patients are clearly among these, and often their meeting with the health service can become an additional strain in a difficult situation. It is therefore incredibly important that we initiate more effort to improve their care.

It's like they actually care about patients. Who does that....

AndyPR

This was even reported in Ghana - https://www.newsghana.com.gh/some-270-norwegian-students-drop-school-for-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

In the last academic year, there were about 270 primary and secondary students in Norway who did not participate in education due to chronic fatigue syndrome, or myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), newspaper Aftenposted reported Tuesday.

The statistics, delivered by Norwegian Ministry of Health and Care Service, refer to the cases in which the parents of the absent children named ME as the main reason for skipping school.

Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg has expressed deep concern that hundreds of children and young people lose education opportunities because they are affected by ME.

Solberg said that there was a reason to believe that the numbers were higher because of the lack of reporting.