• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Normal B12 lab results

I know I'm being a pest with these questions but I'm confused.

So, I've got a lab result saying my B12 was high as well as my folic acid. I have a Gene mutation heterozygous for A1298c and C799T (or something like that). I haven't had my glutatione tested yet and I know I should, but the methylation protocols look promising and I'm already on Deplin for my gene mutation.

So my question is should I be taking methyl b12 and adeno b12 anyway even though my level is already high? Couldn't there be a functional deficiency in the b12 that the methylation protocol could help? It's confusing because there are different types of B12 but then my lab has one B12 reading and it's high. I've read a lot but it's hard to be sure with so much information.

Thank you

aprilk1869

There are so many problems with the b12 test I don't know where to begin. For instance it can be high if you have Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) as the bacteria produce b12 analogues that show up in tests but are completely useless. Homocysteine and urinary methylmalonic acid are better tests, however neither of these tests will tell you what's happening in the cerebral spinal fluid (CSF), many illnesses are caused by b12 deficiency in the CSF.

aprilk1869

Ok. So I guess it can't hurt to supplement with B12 then, right?

Thanks

That's correct. However Rich fears that taking too much b12/folate will overdrive the methylation cycle meaning not enough Homocysteine will drain down to create glutathione. However generally speaking you really can't overdose on b12. The Japanese have been studying megadose b12 injections with great success. For example:-

Long-term effect of the treatment of a large amount of methylcobalamin against ALS.

Abstract;Among 41 ALS patients without having respiratory disorder, 22 patients were administered with a large amount of methylcobalamin (50 mg/day, muscular injection twice a week), and 19 patients were not administered anything, and their conditions were traced. During the observations, those whose conditions were not worsened, those who changed their prescriptions, those who discontinued the admininistration of a large amount of methylcobalamin and those who had serious side effects were excluded. Seven patients were eliminated and 34 patients were continued to be analyzed (administration group: 18 patients; non-administration group: 16 patients). The results showed that the period of the administration group while they are alive or until the respiratory devices were applied was 18.5 plus or minus 13.6 months, compared to 17.7 plus or minus 9.0 months of the non-administration group. Eleven patients in the administration group are still alive without using respiratory device, whereas all the patients in the non-administration group died, and the prognosis of the administration group was better in Kaplan-Meireir living curve than that of the control group. No serious side effects were acknowledged, and the treatment was carried out safely so that more detailed examination is recommended in large numbers.
http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200404/000020040404A0030374.php

Ok thanks.

This brings up the Deplin question again. It's a huge about of folate. But it's recommended to those who have gene mutations? That's what confuses me. I have one doctor tell me to take one a day but then the protocols would say I need to take 1/10th of each pill daily to not overdrive the cycle.

Thanks for that info April makes me feel less worried about overdoing b12! Is it the folate that can overdrive methylation rather than b12 then?

Was looking at the GET b12 spray on holistic health website which contains both hydroxy and adenosyl b12 forms - the oral spray formula intrigued me - anyone tried this?

aprilk1869

Ok thanks.

This brings up the Deplin question again. It's a huge about of folate. But it's recommended to those who have gene mutations? That's what confuses me. I have one doctor tell me to take one a day but then the protocols would say I need to take 1/10th of each pill daily to not overdrive the cycle.

If you have a MTHFR mutation then you need to avoid synthetic folic acid. Methylfolate found in Metafolin and Deplin is the type you need to take. There are many people taking large amounts of it with great success, read here. As for dosages, ultimately nothing has really been proven one way or the other. I think a lot of people could benefit from taking large amounts, especially if your deficiency is in the CSF. Also, there are a number of ways to increase glutathione such as vit D, ALA, b6 and selenium.

aprilk1869

Thanks for that info April makes me feel less worried about overdoing b12! Is it the folate that can overdrive methylation rather than b12 then?

I wouldn't have any idea. They both work together so I assume they'd both need to be present in order to overdrive the cycle. That's just a guess. But whenever I think about the overdriving the methyl cycle idea I just remind myself about the Japanese studies using large doses of b12. Many people would be dead without those injections.

Thanks April. You clearly know your stuff.

Yeah the Deplin pills I have are 15mgs. So it's hard to know if I should divide the pieces up and how small. Ex. 1/15th will be very small, haha

Adster

If you get b12 tested, the only test really worth doing is the HOLO-TC test as it tests, I think, cellular levels of b12.